Am i doing anything wrong here?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Buck-O, May 15, 2003.

1. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ok...so, ive been detailing alot here latly, and have been expanding my list of products that i use.
    But, i just want to double check and make sure im useing the right process, and the right products.

Ok, fiurst off, basic wash, if its the first time i detail a car, i use Dawn. Just to make sure its good and clean.
    If theres a need for it, i will follow up with a clay bar. Ive been using Mothers clay bar system, as its the only one i could find locally.
    Next step is the Meguires Swirl Remover 2.0. I usually use this one section at a time, usually about one to two square foot of area, working it in untill its virtually clear, then buffing it clean.
    Now heres where i get a slight hickup on what exactly to do.
    Ive got the S100 SEPC, and the Meguires Show Car glaze.
    What ive been doing is using the S100 SEPC to prep the paint and get it clean. I usually use the same method of rubbing it in clear untill it starts to powder, one body panel at a time. Then i apply the show car glaze, giving it a good rub in, without letting it clear. Then i let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, before i begin to buff it off. And then, of course, i top everything off with the S100 wax.

Now, when it comes to the S100 SEPC, and the Showcar Glaze, should i use one before the other, or one or the the other? Im a bit confused on that. Cause im not sure if im being redundant or not.

So far the cars ive done have been coming out looking gorgeous, with a deep, rich, shine. And everyone at this point has been more then pleased and impressed witht he way it looks. I just want to make sure im not overdoing it or fucking somthing up.

Thanks in advance.

2. Robb

Robb Guest

Use the Sepc before the Glaze, the "glaze" is actually like a polish, it deepens the look of the paint, and you want your paint clean before you apply the glaze, so what your doing is right. I use the same products.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Yeah, ive been using the SEPC before the glaze, cuase it made the most sence to me.

One thing i wonder about though...is the Swirl Remover. Should i use that before or after the SEPC? Ive heard both...using a cleaner and preparing the surface for the swirl remover, and then polishing over the swirlremover. Ive been doing wash, swirl remover, SEPC, Glaze, wax.

so which method is the most sound?

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Always use the most aggressive (heaviest cut) first, then work your way down. The cool thing about Meguiar's products is that on the back of the bottle, there's a little guage that tells you how heavy or fine a cut the polish is.

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, that part i understand.
    What im confused about is..should i use the SEPC before or after the SR2.0? Right now im using the SR2.0 first, and the SEPC seconed. Im just wondering if i should change this routine?

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use SR2.0 first since it is more abrasive than SEC. Showcar Glaze is the least abrasive, so it goes last.

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Thanks Scott...thats what i thought. I just wanted to confirm it. Much appreciated. :cool:

8. TBIRD 38 LX

TBIRD 38 LX Guest

dude u said u use dawn.... if u mean dawn dishwashing stuff ... DONT USE IT ! ! those are degreasers and will eat ur clear coat right off and ruin the paint.... use any cheap CAR wash ... theyre like 3 bucks for a huge bottle ...

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The only time Dawn should be used is if you have major tar issues, need to strip the old wax off to repaint, or to remove old wax/polish to apply Zainos. Used under those circumstances, and very occasionally, it is safe for your paint. I've never understood the fascination with the 'Dawn wash'. Whatever polish or swirl remover you are using will strip off any old wax you may want to remove.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I do use Dawn dishsoap...but ONLY the first time i detail a car, and ONLY if the paint has been severly neglected. Which most of my first timers are...so i use it to remove tar, pitch, bugs, and old cleaner wax and other shit that is left over from before i got there.
    Then i susally wash in Meguires GCCW, and go from there. THe clay bar really doesnt like goin gover the Dawn washed paint...and the GCCW gives it that nice slickness to help it along. I wasnt aware of the dish soap ruining clear coats though. Thats interesting.

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

In the case you're speaking of, neglected paint... there's no need to use the Dawn wash. If the paint is neglected, odds are you'll be using a clay bar, or at least some sort of polish. All those things will take off old wax. As a rule, anything that's not a wax or a quick detailer will strip wax. Like Scott said, what's the fascination with the Dawn wash?