GUN Am I crazy? G35 for USPSA/IDPA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Oct 17, 2008.

1. I love my little Spartan for USPSA L-10 and IDPA CDP. The thing runs great, is reasonably accurate, and I already own it. Thing is, I can't get the idea out of my head for a G35 set up for USPSA Limited and IDPA ESP shooting.

If I went with the G35 I'd have to get a new holster for IDPA and USPSA. I already have mag pouches that will fit the Glock mags. I'd also have to get a caliber conversion kit for my Dillon, which is no big deal, and I already have access to .40 dies.

For the gun, I'd plan on a new barrel, recoil spring setup, fiber optic sights, probably a drop-in trigger setup, whatever grip mods I can get away with in IDPA, and some sort of magwell. I'd also have to buy mags and the extensions for USPSA and a few more mags for IDPA.

The thing is, I know I don't need this setup, but it's something that I've been thinking about for a while. I'm trying to justify it to myself. I know that reloading for the .40 would be cheaper, but I can buy a lot of .45 components for the price of all this G35 stuff, and I really don't want to sell the Spartan to pay for any of this stuff, so I'd basically have 2 setups. You guys should convince me one way or the other.

EDIT: I want the G35 because I can shoot major with it.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

My personal take on shooting multiple divisions is don't do it until you're performing well in one, OR if you decide to shoot multiple divisions do it with the same/similar platform... i.e. a Glock 35 loaded minor for production and a modded Glock 35 loaded major for limited.

I shoot production with a Glock 17 and have been fighting the urge to get a single stack rig all summer. But, I know my skill set is mediocre, and figure I can focus my practice and match shooting on advancing my skillset running one rig, or dilute it by shooting two rigs that are entirely different in terms of grip/operation/mags, etc...

I know a lot of people would find it boring, but I pretty much decided I won't start in another division until I make "A" in production... which may well mean that I'll be shooting production for quite a while.

3. If I got the G35 I probably would only use that for matches. The 1911 would probably just live in the safe and come out for plinking.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

I am probably the worst at giving this sort of advise. I am classified in 4 divisions in USPSA and I'm going to make it 5 next saturday. To me it's all about having fun. I don't take classifications too seriously, which is why I could be taken as a sandbagger. I just have ADD when it comes to everything. I could do a lot better and probably be an A class by now if I stuck to my one gun.

It's like your adolescent lovelife. When I was young, I never stayed commited. I liked to "bounce around" and I had fun. Of course I never had a "highschool sweetheart". But I don't know that I missed out on much. You can always find someone when you are in your mid 20's, partying out of your system to get serious with and marry. Thats what I did and have no regrets.

Having said that, also having owned and run an Tricked out G35 in Limited and ESP, I'd say save up and get a STI. I did everything you could do to it and it still paled in comparison to a stock STI Edge. Knowing you dude, I know you like nice gear. Get an Edge and be done with it.

I loved my G35, but after all the mods, it was a little problematic. Ask Cel or any of the guys how that went. I campaigned it hard for a little while. Maybe you'll get lucky, it got old for me. I finally got it worked out, but it took a little while.

[​IMG]

Shoot a G35 next to a 2011. The difference in felt recoil is pretty significant. Huge difference in weight. And I had what most would consider the best trigger job you could "drop in", with the Vanek Master trigger kit. It pales in comparison to even a mediocre trigger job on a STI.

Reliability, when you start modding it out and loading for it, is not much better.

What I did like about my G35, was it was a cheap way to get into Limited. We call it the "Limited starter kit". If you go on Benos, you can usually find someone graduating out of a G35 and pick one up for dirt cheap. But you will also buy there headaches. Most everyone I know started off with a Glock of some sort in Limited. A few actually stuck with it and got good. But a larger amount grew out of them.

Again, this is no heresay, this is a been there done that advise. I'm not vested or loyal to any gun or division, you know that. Only thing I would recommend the Glock for is Production. They are a kick ass production gun and SSP and ESP and CDP gun.

My next Limited gun will either be a 2011 or EAA.

Ibyarcallsmeastereotypicalflipshooter lol all good.

Put your question up on Benos and see what you get.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  5. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I can think of several things that you could use that extra $1000 for other than going from one very cool gun to a slightly less cool gun to save a negligible amount on reloading.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Woah, wrong forum for that advice :rofl:

7. Thanks AB. I guess this is one of those things where you can try to go at it cheap or you can cough up the cash for something like a 2011. I guess the safest thing to do would be get better with the Spartan in L-10 and save up for a 2011. I know the Spartan runs great (other than the slide-stop issue) and I guess I'd get better faster if I could concentrate on my shooting rather than worrying about troubleshooting a new gun too. That would keep Laurel off my back for a while too. :)

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

btw, your not crazy dude. This happens to everyone that gets into comp shooting. I have a ton of done up game guns, don't retire the Spartan just yet.

At least if you go Glock, get a G24.

9. :nono:

I did point out that it wasn't solely to save money on reloading, but it was something that I was thinking about. And you're right, that $1000 can buy lots of other things... XM193, 10mm ammo, .45 components, Dillon goodies.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

Dude you know the rule, as I see you live it.

Go big or go home (this is really going to piss yar off, lol)

No, dude, she gives some sage advise up there.

Shoot your Spartan, get your monies worth and save up for an upgrade.

Again, depends on what you want to do.

I am always about having fun, always will be. I'm going to resign from shooting the day I don't get excited before I shoot, or have fun anymore.
    But you gotta pay to play!

11. Laurel

Laurel New Member

:x:

Can I get a cooler and keg to go all-grain? It's cheaper than a glock and saves me money on ingredients. Plus I'll be able to make 10 gallon batches. ;)

Plus hops make your boobs bigger. :mamoru:

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, and you won't be saving a whole lot. Reloading for .40 will be around $100 a 1k. Reloading for .45 is $130 for 1k. And you also have to consider start up cost and learning curve.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Do eeeet! :naughty:

:rofl: If my old lady used that marketing ploy on me, that plastic would come flying out of the leather so fast! lol

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Bahhhh, what are you talking about woman? This is gun stuff, there is no room for logic here!

AB.... Curious. I'm not hip on Glock pricing, but what kind of expenditure would you say it would take for a Limited Glock setup? IE, turn key, starting from scratch like MG is doing?

While it's kinda going down a road less traveled, I think my Limited setup has the potential to take me as far as I wanna go:
    [​IMG]

CZ Tactical Sport. It's been getting refinished for what seems like since Christ was traversing the earth, but I've got to shoot it here and there. It's a 9mm, which is :greddy: for limited stuff, but I'm just doing it for fun at the moment. Angus has 40 slides available, and I'll probably snag one of those over the winter.

I've got that, plus a ghost holster and another spare CR speed belt, 6 mags, and spares for pretty much anything that would break. I've done a lot of trading, and dicking around and have ~$1K in the entire setup. That's pretty cheap, but I think I could do it again if I needed to.

Just something else to think about; we are all about helping you spend your money on our pet projects 'round here:)

15. What are you using to reload .45 for $130/1000? I am using plain old CCI primers and Win 231 powder and I bought some Remington FMJ from Natches for $15/100. My cost is about $180/1000.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The G35 is a great gun, I say go for it. Limited division is a blast. I would go inexpensive and just do the trigger, sights and springs to start. Shoot out the barrel then replace it later. I'd shoot the molly bullets to save some $$$, they work great in limited and production guns, are clean, don't smoke, and don't lead very much. Safe for stock barrels.

As far as glock reliability after you start modding them you have to stay on top of a few things. The first is the springs. You have to know what combinations of springs to run for your ammo and you have to change your springs once a year as preventive maintience. If your running super light springs for more slide speed and you shoot a lot you might need to change every 6 months. There are little tricks to more extraction power etc. Feed ramp issues to look for, etc

As far as shooting in multiple divisions it can help or hurt. First thing to remember is that this is entertainment. It is fun shooting different guns now and again. It's not like your married to any one gun or division. I really think shooting limited and open can go hand in hand. Shooting with a dot in open really teaches you about what the gun does in recoil, and how grip pressure affects this. You get feed back from the dot you don't see with iron sights. Shooting open can make you a better limited shooter. As mike voigt says if you want to get better at limited, shoot open for a year.

As far as weight the new school of thought is to go lighter. Initially when shooting a new gun you will notice the recoil impulse difference between a light and heavy gun. The fact is that under the timer, under pressure you don't feel recoil, and after shooting the same gun for a while you adjust to the recoil. I used to think 9 major was pretty harsh. To me now it is very managable. The thing you want to ge concerned about is how fast you can shoot splits and how the gun tracks. When I shoot 45 acp it feels soft, slow and pushy. The gun also in my eyes seems to cycle in slow motion. I much prefer a fast snappy gun as I have confirmed I shoot faster splits with them.

So what I'm saying is the days of adding a lot of weight to a gun to absorb felt recoil is old school. What you want is a light quick handling gun that transitions fast from target to target. You spend way more time in target transtions than you do in shot to shot splits.

[​IMG]

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'll get you the hook up bro. I buy from Rainier Ballistics direct. We have our own assigned Sales representative that handles our orders. We go directly to the loading docks at the factory and pick up our orders. :) I can still get them for $45-49 per 500.

18. :bowdown:

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

I may be in finance, but I suck at tracking mine. It can be depressing. But lets itemize it and lets see what we get. These are not exact pricing, just off the top of my head.

G35: $550
    Trigger Kit: Vanek $200
    Sights: Dawson/Heinie $100
    Magwell: Dawson: $130
    Magazines: $20x4: $80
    Ext base pads: Dawson: $35 x 4: $140
    Mag Release button: Maglock: $15
    Ghost holster: $150
    CR Speed mag pouches: I'm assuming you can use your existing. $0
    EGW U Die (absolutely a must) $40
    Steel Recoil rod and springs: $30-40

rite around $1445 give or take not counting shipping.

You could get a nice EAA from Hennings done up really nice and complete for that price. CZ Sport Tac is also very nice.

[​IMG]

20. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Why is .40 the round of choice for that class? Just curious.

21. Because you can't use 9mm to make major and you can get more .40s in a magazine than .45s.

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

It's the minimum size that makes "major" and you can get the most bullets in a Limited Legal Mag, which is around 20+1.

.40 rules Limited Division.

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

As you know, I've been shooting the baller Montana Gold bullets for a while. I got an email from the Rainier Ballistics sales rep and asked why I didn't shoot their bullets anymore. So she sent me some free bullets to "reconsider". lol

They are a good company, I'll probably place an order with them again soon after I burn through the 3-4k I have left.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Soybomb votes for this option.

Because everyone else is posting pictures:
    [​IMG]

25. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

AB:

That's kinda what I was figuring. I was looking around and seen some packages for like 1-1.3K used.

So it looks to be somewhat even, if you buy used. The Glock's are just so hard to beat though logistically. Parts are largely drop-in, and consumables like mags and stuff are so much cheaper. Each one of my TS mags (Mag + baseplate + spring/follower) are a little over $100. That's getting into S_I territory.

Meh, this gun was something I wanted to do, and it made more sense than buying a completely different platform (My focus is a '75 in production). Like you said, you gotta pay to play, no way around it.

Next is an open gun; and I don't even want to start thinking about the cash outlay for that shit.:wtc:

Soybomb:

The fuck is that? Literally looks like piss water there broseph.... That's not completed brew is it?