WEB Am I being too hard on my guys?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dawgboye, Apr 15, 2008.

1. dawgboye

dawgboye I'm a businessman who's commodity happens to be co

OK, so I was wondering something. We will have projects that are very, very low budget from one of our outside sales guys. We have a dedicated production work team who all they do is these very rapid turn around, low budget projects. But I go by the standard of, do your best, no matter how much you're getting paid. If you take a project, be it 300 or 300,000, you should do your best. So simply being a 300$ project doesn't mean you can put out crap.

Even if the client likes what they get, I tend to push them to give 100% regardless of the size of the project.

On our larger projects, which I tend to do the design work on, I require 100% from my guys and demand that the finished product look exactly like the PSD I hand off to them. I might allow a few minor differences but in my mind, the client approved what they saw in the PSD, so the final product should reflect it. It isn't like I don't know what can and can't be done, so everything I specify can be done, it just might take some effort.

Am I being too hard on them or are they not performing?

2. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

I'd be the same way.

3. dawgboye

I see it as, whether a job is cheap or expensive, when a customer says to someone "Company so and so did this", that product is a reflection on me.

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Your demands are reasonable as long as you aren't an ass about it, unless they deserve it, and you pay well.

"Good enough isn't"

5. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Just make sure you're busting ass as well. Most people don't mind working hard so long as they know their boss isn't skipping out while they are working.

6. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

make sure you recognize their efforts as well.
    Employee recognition is always an issue and should never be.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I've worked with designers that have a background in print media and they've tried to pull the whole "it has to look exactly like the PSD" when their design just isn't compatible with web. If you have a solid understanding of the building blocks that's required to make a website, then no, you're not hard on them and you should require that they do so. If not, then you should probably be open ears. The developers probably know more about what concepts are applied when building a website. For example, I do not think it's necessary to have different margins across different pages simply because you wanted to adjust a headline image 15 pixels over on another page.

8. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

perfectly fine...you gotta remember the networking effect. That $300 job guy might have a friend who needs a new website for his business, so since he is satisfied with you 100% he recommends you, and you get that $50,000 contract w/o any competition.

or he can be like me, before spending real cash on your company, he wants to try out to see your work ethic. So he gives you a small project to finish, and then if you satisfy him you'll get the big expensive project.

9. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

As long as they are being paid for their time spent, and you aren't demanding unreasonable hours or free overtime or other bullshit like that.

10. dawgboye

Thanks for the input folks.

11. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

i find a lot of places typically will start off with a small project to test the waters, then if they're happy, give the company their big project :dunno:

we had one page of our website redesigned and these guys were a fucking nightmare to work with...AND they even knew we were going to overhaul the entire site 6 months later, and they would have been the incumbent. but they fucked up, and now they can fuck off

12. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

as long as your standards are reflected in their pay, everything sounds right in line.

Money is the key here.. not how hard you work as a superior.