SRS Am I being selfish?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by onedownfiveup, Jan 8, 2008.

1. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

So today's my birthday and generally you enjoy hearing people tell you happy birthday for the most part. You usually have people in mind that you expect to wish you a happy birthday and there are people that wish you happy birthday out of the blue you'd never really expect. Well today so far has been kind of a depressing. It's been the opposite. People least expected to wish me happy birthday have done so, and people I automatically expected and probably would say it at 12;00am haven't even said a word.I don't expect people to remember my birthday. But there are a few people who are close friends with me that would probably want me to remember theirs and would be upset as well if I forgot theirs. I understand remembering these things are sometimes hard to do, but I've been kind of slipping in small hints here and there over the weekend that my birthday is Monday.

Now I've got myself all upset over this. ONE person who out of everyone other than my parents and sister I expected to say happy birthday hasn't. This is a person who even told me over Christmas they were going to get me something for my birthday (totally don't even care about a gift). This person I've even mentioned through out conversation through the weekend that my birthday is today. Myspace even displays it and so does a local forum I'm on has a thread about it. I've even talked to this person on the phone and texted them and nothing. I even asked if they wanted to go get something to eat and what they were doing and that's all planned out.

I just kind of feel :wtcd:.

2. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

you mean they have plans tonite that dont include you? Maybe they're just going to surprise you with something?

3. onedownfiveup

Yes, that's what I mean.

I highly doubt there is a surprise. They better be coming through pretty quick if that were the case. Sad thing is, even if they were planning a surprise, I would at least think they'd wish me happy birthday.

4. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

idk maybe maybe not. its just another day after age 21.

5. onedownfiveup

You're right, it is just another day after 21.

6. Yuppy

how old are you?

7. Yuppy

oh yea, HAPPY MUTHA FUCKING BIRTHDAY BUD!

8. onedownfiveup

Thanks man. :wavey:

9. Yuppy

yea at 25 i wouldnt expect too many people to know my b-day.

if you want something to happen at that age most people have jobs and you gotta make it happen. unless its on a friday or a saturday.

10. onedownfiveup

This thread is really only about one person. This person I would expect to know it's my damn birthday. Like I said above, I even said stuff this weekend about it being my birthday.

This isn't about people that aren't everyday close with me forgetting my birthday. I understand how easily it is to not remember someones birthday that I don't talk to on a daily basis and am somewhat close to.

11. Yuppy

you reminded me to wish my friend happy bday a few days late. lol im such a fucking horrible friend. hes like my best friend but lives out of state. thanks for reminding me. if thats any consolation...

12. onedownfiveup

I could understand that situation.

13. Spechs

Spechs New Member

hey, first time posting in the Asylum. I don't think you're being selfish at all. everyone likes knowing that their friends / loved ones / families remember them.

14. onedownfiveup

Welcome :wavey:.

I'm contemplating on saying something to this person and explain how I feel about the situation. But on the same note, I don't want to sound demanding or selfish.

15. Yuppy

ahh dont say anything, maybe just ask him for a beer since its yer bday

16. onedownfiveup

Wrong sex.

17. Kingo

Kingo New Member

nah dude, your deff not being selfish! happy b-day!

18. Yuppy

so what happened ? did anyone call?

19. Spechs

Spechs New Member

whoops, my apologies man! happy birthday.

20. PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising New Member

I hate to say this but really what's the big deal? .. I'm 45 now and aside from when I was a child I never much gave a hoot about who said happy birthday etc... Just another day really of significance only to me, and then only of minor importance aside from the legal aspects.
    I guess I would look at is as If my friend misses my birthday does it really matter? Are they there for me when I am down? Do they call or drop by just out of the blue to see what's up? There are so many things that mean more. The whole birthday thing I think is more of a marketing thing and something that is made a big deal of more for peoples reassurance / sense of self esteem than anything. So try to take it light, be comfortable that your friends are your friends and don't sweat the small stuff. <wink>

21. onedownfiveup

I guess the more I think about it basically it boils down to the fact that I was told one thing and nothing happened. It has become somewhat of a reoccurring habit for this individual. Sometimes they come through, sometimes not.

Also, the night ended and nothing happened. I got a promise that they are going to do something with me this weekend, but we'll see how that pans out.

I totally understand it's not a huge deal someone forgets my birthday.

22. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I'm with you on this one. It makes me :( if someone important forgets my birthday. And I hate people that are flaky like your friend. I find myself hanging out with those types of people less and less because it's not worth bothering with people that don't do what they say they will.

23. Riconosuave

Riconosuave New Member

What's the big deal? I don't even tell my friends when my birthday is. Don't like for people to make a big deal out of it.

24. onedownfiveup

I guess I'm making more of a deal out of this than it really needs to be. I don' normally tell people when my birthday is unless they ask. This is a friend that is very close to me and would kind of think they would say something, even after they told me 2 weeks ago they were going to get me something for my birthday.

25. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

This isn't just a friend though is it? Sounds to me like this is a chick you like. Why do you let people treat you like that (not specifically forgetting your bday but flaking on you all the time)? If she cared about you then she would have remembered and she wouldn't keep flaking on you.