Am I being ripped off by my bodyshop?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Eff, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Eff

Eff New Member

I was at my airport, doing some flying. Come back to find my left rear light smashed and body panel dented. Hit and run; maybe someone pulling out of their parking spot.

Body shop is quoting me $800.
    $80 for the light (reasonable), and $720 for the dent/gouge. They say they are going to pull it out and redo the "rust prevention", primer, paint, clearcoat, and whatever else goes along with it. The price included labor obviously.

My deductible (USAA) is $500, so unless I can talk the shop below that amount I suppose it doesn't matter.

Is this too much to pay?

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

Well first did you do your research on the shop? Have you had things done before there? Don't just base your mind on the price. I have so many people come in just asking for a price, if its not what they want then they leave. Sometime to come back later to have us fixed others work. Are they guaranteeing (sp) the work? If so for how long?

Im not sure how big the panel is at its hard to see what kind of car it is. I would say $800 is reasonable. Have you taken it to anther shop?

3. Dodge guy

Dodge guy Active Member

80 for a light is cheap, However, in order for them to pull that out, you have to figure in pull time, bondo time, sanding time, paint prep time and paint time.

4. Eff

Eff New Member

It's an '05 PT. The damage on the panel is about 4-5 inches long.

The shop is Ultimate Collision, just outside of McGuire AFB. They have very nice facilities/shops/etc. I have not done business with them before but several friends of mine have referred me to them.

5. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

Well I would say let them do it then if you've talked to people who've had work done there and are satisfied. And if you feel they will do nice work (if you've seen any of it). There is no way any shop (a good shop) is going to do it for under $500 unless your like family/close friend. If there is I guarantee you'll regret having them do it. Theres just to much to do, pull, fix, prime, block, etc (though it is a little spot). You've got labor, materials, etc. Also if there going to just panel paint or blend.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rule number 1 when it comes to body shops:

DO NOT PRICE SHOP. EVER.

You get what you pay for. Period. Cheap shops mean cheap, shitty work.

7. Eff

Eff New Member

Thanks for the insight guys. :) I'm dropping it off tomorrow, and I'll post back with updates as I get them with pics of the area afterwards.

8. Eff

Eff New Member

Car's at the shop now.

They hooked me up with a free rental, and are even going to do a free touchup (paint chips on bumper from road debris/ etc).

9. Original

Original OT Supporter

i price shopped and the job came out perfect :hs:

though i did know the guy who worked there so he couldn't really screw me over, i'd hunt them down :squint:

10. Scottwax

My brother did, using his hail damage check for $6000 and found a shop that would do the work for $3400...

Cab was repainted, bed was not. Fisheyes, runs, sags, excessive orange peel, visible sanding marks under the paint, primer overspray in the door jambs, on interior door panels, on engine and wheels and the paint didn't even match.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Took it back twice, each time it was WORSE. The owner of the shop said (when my brother pointed out the mismatched paint) "it's not that bad". Excuse me? You have to qualify your work with "it's not that bad"?

They told him they'd repaint the entire truck, including taking the cab down to the metal and starting over but they'd need the truck 30-45 days and told him they wouldn't cover his rental. My brother has a lawn mowing business and renting a truck for commercial use/towing would cost him around $75-100 a day.

He decides to sue them instead. Gets a lawyer who has my brother go to several other bodyshops for estimates. The lowest one was $8500 and that was assuming they didn't have to replace his wheels, door panels or anything else coated in shitloads of overspray. A paint thickness gauge showed 17 to 41 mils of paint thickness....original paint is 4-5, repaints about 7-9 max. Unreal.

Anyway, he ended up winning the lawsuit and was awarded $10,000, 40% of which went to the lawyer. He traded in his truck on a new one.

11. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

Nice! Hope it turns out good! And yeah I can't tell you how many people have come in asking for us to fix other shops work. Its unreal what they'll do to cars. So many cars I get have overspray in the jambs its unreal. Also overspray on parts that weren't even painted, which I assume is from when they primer the car they just spot tape, or even worse don't take it fully in the booth! And sanding marks under the paint is a big one, seeing the crosshatching shit. Moral - know the shop!!!!!!

12. Eff

Eff New Member

Car is back from the shop. You can't even tell it was hit. :)

Quality of the paint job seems pretty good. Here's some pics of the work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then decided to give 'er a nice cleaning. :)

[​IMG]

Detailed inside and washed outside. I'll finish the outside tomorrow (clay bar? Polish? Wax? Time to read the Sticky I guess.)

13. Scottwax

Looks good in the pictures. Call the bodyshop and ask them how long you should wait before waxing what they repainted.

14. Eff

Eff New Member

Oh shit, I'm supposed to wait?

Heh. That was close. I was about to go out and do it now (nice and cool, good lighting in the parking lot, and bored).

15. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

Looks nice! We usually tell people 90 days, though our "partner" shop says 60 days.