Am I being paranoid for considering getting tested?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by PianoProdigy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. PianoProdigy

PianoProdigy Better than most at most things OT Supporter

I'm dating a girl I really like and I think the relationship will probably "go somewhere" (unless many others where I've known fairly quickly they'd just be flings). I've never had unprotected vaginal sex with any of the girls I've been with before, but the girlfriend is on the pill (just started, apparently effective in 7 days per instructions when taken properly, which she is) and so we've decided to have sex unprotected in a few days. She hasn't brought up the issue and I'm not really concerned about getting her tested as I've known her a long time and am quite sure of her history, but in the back of my mind, I kinda feel like I should get tested after receiving oral from 10 or so girls unprotected. I have no symptoms and have been tested negative before in the past when I had a bladder infection (which caused some burning when I peed thus the doctor just test to be sure).

Anyways, I guess this boils down to the likeliness of contracting an STD from receiving oral sex. Perhaps I'm just paranoid but I figured I would ask...

2. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

No, not at all. In all my long-term relationships where we've decided to begin sleeping together without condoms, that's been one of the requirements.

either a) having been tested w/in the last 6 months and no sexual partners since then
    b) if they have had a sexual partner since their last test get tested first

There's nothing wrong with that, you're not implying she's dirty, etc. - I think it's prudent for you to get tested, but also for her to get tested if she hasn't been recently [especially since she's planning on sleeping with you without a condom, she's probably done that before.. again, I'm not implying that's bad]. People can have stuff and not even know it. Some people just get unlucky, I know you say you know her 'history,' which is great and all, but that doesn't mean shit. Some people could have slept with 102830985 million people and are clean, some have slept with 1 or 2 and gotten unlucky and contracted something.

Bottom line: both get tested, or just make sure when she's had her last test/if she's had sexual encounters since her last test. If she has, she should get tested too.

3. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I think it's a good idea :dunno:

4. Arkaybee

Arkaybee New Member

:rofl: there aren't even that many people on the planet. I don't think there are even that many ANIMALS on the planet lol

But I would talk about your concerns. If this relationship is going to be serious, you should have a serious talk about it :hs:

5. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

Well, obviously it was an exaggeration :mamoru: The point being, I've had friends contract something when they've only slept with 2 people in her whole life, and it is her serious bf. I've also had friends that have slept with a TON of people that are clean as a whistle. The point being, if she hasn't been tested, "knowing her history" doesn't mean shit. There are too many STD's out there that you can have without even knowing it.

And think about it: When you sleep with someone, you're also sleeping with everyone they've slept with, everyone they've slept with, and so on.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Get tested. Peace of mind is better than anything.

You should also not be afraid to ask her to get tested. If you are afraid to tell someone you plan on having unprotected sex with to get tested you shouldn't be having sex in the first place. Just because you think you know her history doesn't mean you are correct in assuming she's clean. Does she know about the head you've gotten from 10 other girls? I ask because if she doesn't there's always a chance you've been unaware of other men she has been with :dunno:

BTW, do not start having unprotected sex with your gf if she only started her BC a week ago :hsugh: Give it at least a month.

7. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

:werd:

At the end of the day, it's better to be safe than sorry. Who cares if you come off as being paranoid [which you don't]. Shit, maybe I do, but I'd rather be "too paranoid" about something such as an STD and remain clean as a whistle my whole life, then get something :dunno:

8. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

that was my first thought too. I know it can be okay after a week if you time it right but really, why mess with it. :hs: Just wait a month to be sure.

9. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

My husband and I both got tested when we started having sex.
    I wanted to do it for my own sanity, but him getting tested meant we knew where we both stood and what we both brought to the table.

Luckily for both of us all that was brought was a kid :big grin:

10. Askesis

Askesis New Member

Getting tested is always a good idea.

11. PianoProdigy

PianoProdigy Better than most at most things OT Supporter

I actually was always under the impression one should be on the pill several months before having unprotected sex. She showed me the pamphlet that came with the pills and it did say 7 days when doing a Sunday start after her period taking it the same time every day (which she has done).

Yeah, I don't have a problem talking to her about it. I realize that her "history" isn't always as clear as it might seem. Only takes one moment of indiscretion for a (potential) lifetime of problems.