GUN Am I being overly thorough? (reloading QA related)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlobeGuy, May 8, 2008.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I take each and every round I make and roll the mouth with my fingers to feel any cracks and put the round into the gage.

Can I just do a gage check instead? I'm wondering if any crack big enough to be felt with my fingers would get caught in a gage?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The case guage does a pretty good job catching cracks. When the case cracks during reloading it usually spits in such a manner that is is slightly out of round and will not case guage.

I've must of reloaded 300,000+ rounds in my lifetime and i've not had a problem. You do handle the round a final time before you load the magazine, that is your final QC check.

After you case guage you should drop the rounds into ammo boxes where all the head stamps face up. Then inspect the head stamps. More important that cracks (which if it case guaged will fire) you need to be worried about case head failure. If the brass is weakened near the headstamp the whole bottom of the case can break off (casehead failure) which will cause a monster jam. this is not the same thing as a kB. I look for signs of over pressure such as flattened head stamps where you can't read the writing, or anything that looks wrong. Good way to check primers are seated properly too.