SRS Am I an alcoholic?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dude19, Nov 11, 2007.

1. dude19

dude19 Member

I drink at the most one weekend night a week. The problem comes in that the one night a week I usually get really wasted. I am wondering if I should go to AA or can get things under control.

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

well, try to get things under control and see what happens

3. Essence

Essence New Member

shiit i do the same thing.. i donno if i would consider it being an alcoholic. I drink a beer every now and then when i go out to eat, never at the house unless some friends are over watching football, or i'm grilling out, but usually friday night i go out and get shitty and stay at home saturday and drink a beer or two and watch football. I wouldn't consider it a problem until you find yourself drinking alone or more frequently.

maybe thats bad advice, but its how i look at it. never really considered myself to have a problem. keep tabs on your consumption and if it increases then reevaluate your situation

4. Binzes

Binzes New Member

:werd:

One a night every other week or so is not a lot of drinking at all...What you are doing is called binge drinking. Where you go for a while without drinking but when you do you drink in extreme excess.

It's still not good at all...but I wouldn't say you're an alcoholic.

5. dude19

dude19 Member

Well how do I not drink so much. It is weird, I'll only remember drinking 6-8 beers but after that I assume once I get pretty drunk I can stop drinking. So i guess i just don't get to where i can't control my drinking

6. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

only you can decide if you are an alcoholic

7. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I don't think so but if you drink every night that would be different.

8. dude19

dude19 Member

Well how the best way to gain self control

9. undirected

undirected Guest

BradUF: alcoholism really has nothing to do with the frequency of the drink but rather the behaviors and psychology associated with it

dude: there really is no way to gain self control in anything, in my opinion...set a goal and work towards it. If you can't do that you might very well be an alcoholic. If it's not hurting you chances are you won't get any help (which could range from visiting a psychologist to a 12-step program like SOS or AA), but once it gets bad enough it's nice to know where to go.

mike

10. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

it really depends on your opinion of your self and your life in general. i drink more than you and i do not consider myself an alchoholic. although im not sure what your situation is, if its a problem for you then by all means do what you can to cut back or quit. some people really shouldn't be drinking, yet others can handle it fine. every mind is different.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Step 1: I wish I had a V8.
    Step 2: I could be having a V8 right now.
    Step 3: I think I'll have a V8.

...later on...

Step 4: That was a good V8.

-- moral --

Figure out what you want, figure out why you want it, decide to do it, go out and actually do it, struggle as necessary, and then enjoy having gotten what you wanted.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I actually agree with this advice for the OP....at least at this point in his/her life. There's very little information to go on so this is sound advice.

TO the OP: If you find that after doing the above, you aren't able to get and stay sober, then perhaps AA can help. Go to a meeting and find out.