SRS am i an alcoholic?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sublime335, Apr 7, 2005.

1. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

so... my girlfriend broke up with me about a month or so ago. I have never really been a big drinker and i never ever drank during the week. Now, I can't stop drinking. I don't drink by myself, but I basicly can't say no when someone asks me to party. Sometimes I even go to parties telling myself I'm not gonna drink and once I'm there and someone starts offering me drinks I just take them without a fight. I even drink on nights where I have to do weights at 7:00 AM (I'm on the swim team) or have class at 8:00. I also don't really get wasted, but I get drunk enough that I stop thinking about "her". Does this make me an alcoholic? I don't drink with the intention of blocking out the pain, but I think that subcontiously maybe that is why I do it. any advice? Is this bad? I know you shouldent drink to cope with hardship but I'm not sure if that is what I'm doing or not?

2. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

if you aren't an alcoholic now, you're fast becoming one. You're using alcohol as a crutch, an escape. You aren't dealing with the problem at hand, and so it's only becoming larger and larger, and, meanwhile, you're depleting your ability to tackle it.

The more you seek escapes, the larger your problems get. Stop drinking cold, dont go out to parties if you're gonna drink (and be honest with yourself), and dont touch another drink until you've dealt with your issues and have moved on.

3. *Ambiorix*

*Ambiorix* New Member

AS long as the alcohol isnt affecting your life adversly you may be just dealing with a painful situation but not an alcoholic. You still make it to all these swim meetings at 7 am? You still getting good grades? Are you blacking out a lot? A month isnt that long, you prolly just need more time to get over her.

Sometimes the best way to forget someone is to fully remember them. THink as much as you can about her until it makes you sick or "full". Eventually youll reach a tipping point and realize its time to move on. Ignoring things someitmes isnt a good idea, especially trying to forget with alcohol...never really works.

4. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

the thing is that I don't think I am drinking to cope, but I don't know. I generally enjoy drinking anyways but never really got to when i had a girlfriend. I think maybe its because I can and I'm not use to being able to so I over do it. Is it bad to drink really often because you can and enjoy it?

I don't mean to discredit your advice. Thank you. Just trying to figure things out, and you may be right.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

consider asking this in the Road to Recovery forum. You seem sincere and there are people in there who've spent quite a bit of time in AA and other recovery programs who can help you.

6. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

7. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

well, seeing as the change in drinking habits coincides with your breakup, i'd say they're definitely related. My guess would be that, because when you start drinking, you start forgetting (for the time being) and start feeling better, you get the 'urge' to drink more, and so forth, and so forth.

Like a chocolate/sugar addiction, this immediate gratification feeling can and will addict you.

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Well, drinking to deal with your problems is never a good idea, it doesn't mean you're an alcoholic, but it definitely isn't healthy. There are a few ways to find out if you're an alcoholic, or if you are headed down that road. Here's 4 things you should probably do:

1. Take the online test: http://www.aa.org/default/en_about_aa.cfm?pageid=4

2. Go to an AA meeting and see if you can relate to what others share at the meeting. AA is listed in the phonebook, you can give them a call and ask where the nearest meeting is. It may also be effective to google "Alcoholics Anonymous in (City in which you live, State in which you live)"

3. Try some controlled drinking. See if you can have just 1-2 beers on a few occasions. If you find that you cannot stop after feeling that initial buzz, this is a key indicator that you are an alcoholic.

4. Post in Road To Recovery, and tell us what you find out from doing these three things. All right, good luck.

10. The Fugue

The Fugue New Member

I got 6 yes and 6 no. :(

11. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

I have the same problem. It is like if I don't drink then, I feel weird or something. It makes me feel better for the time being, but when I wake up I really regret it. I don't know if you can stop yourself or not but, there are things you can do to prevent it from happening. The only reason I do it, is because there is really nothing else to do here where I live. Just about every kid here is an alcoholic. But, we only drink on weekends usually. I would say if you yourself is concerned then you are taking the first step in aknowledging you have a problem. Go to some AAA meetings, or seek advice through close friends or family. I would get it under control, before it is too late.

12. sublime335

sublime335 New Member

good site. thanks. i got 3 yes and 9 no
    according to that site i am ok but i guess the idea is that you are supposed to have 0 yes'.

13. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I believe 3 is borderline, I'd continue on the path and go to an AA meeting.

14. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic. Typically alcoholism is shown by tolerance to alcohol/drugs increasing, feelign a NEED to drink, loss of control when drunk, unable to control how much you drink and for me alcohol was causing problems in my life yet drinking was still the solution.