SRS Always tired, sleeping aid not working

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paulie Walnuts, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Hello everyone! Looking for advice without going to the Dr yet from those who may have perhaps had a similar experience.

I have been taking ambien to help me sleep now for about 3 years. Now all of a sudden I am waking up in the middle of the night wired. I go to bed around 11 and get up around 6:30-7 I wake up around 3am usually to pee as I drink a ton of liquids, then I cannot go to sleep for another hour or so.

I get to work and I am a zombie. Right now I am having a hard time staying awake. I will go home after work and crah for two hours then get up and eat and work some more.

It sucks man, I would give just about anything to sleep without an aid, what should I do?

No I havent been to the Dr yet and no I do not have sleep apnea.

2. Eris

Eris Yes please

Well the chances are since you've been taking Ambien for a long period of time you're body is building up a tolerance.

I go back and forth with insomnia and I've never seen a doctor about it. I know everyone is different so not all remedies will work for you.

For me I try and keep a regular sleep cycle. Try not to do too many activites in bed (no not that LOL) like read or watch TV. Because you're body no longer associates laying in bed with sleep.

Napping is good .. by try maybe cutting it down to a power nap like 30 mintues or so. Also light exercise, meditation, or try reading before bed. Tryand make sure you've got a clear head as thinking will keep you awake.

Try not to lay in bed if you're not tired enough to fall asleep. Get up and read or watch TV until you're at the sleepy stage.

Hm, that's about all I can really offer. I aslo took Melatonin for a while. It's an herbal supplement that people use for jetlag and such. Worked for both myself and my ex.

Hope some of this was helpful ....

3. Eris

Eris Yes please

Oh .. aslo you gotta find the right amount of sleep .. not everyone needs 8 hrs like I said we're all different. Over and under sleeping will cause you to be tired all the time too.

if all else fails ... see a md ... could have some sort of medical prob.

4. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

I think Ambien makes me even more tired. I *think* I sleep well when I'm on it, but there is no telling..I just dont remember anything that happens (including blacking out and going into seizures).

Maybe you should try a different sleeping pill, like Sonata or Lunesta. Unfortunately, Sonata didn't work for me. However, I haven't tired Lunesta yet. According to my doctor, it is supposed to work better than Ambien without as many hangover effects. It's really possible that the hangover effects are what are making you so tired at work.

The sleeping pill might not be the problem. Is there anything else going on in your life that might cause extra stress or other issues?

Also, I sleep best after exercising. I'd much rather drain my body of energy using physical exhaustion rather than taking a pill. It's definitely something worth trying

5. Paulie Walnuts

Yeah I tend to black out or sorta trip balls right after I take it. It’s not even so much that I don’t sleep, I just can’t get to sleep. And I do not like being dependant on these things to sleep. I wouldn’t say I have an addiction more of a routine. The primary reason I got on ambien was that I didn’t get that hang over affect. I wonder if the naps are what is getting me also.

I especially like to nap on weekends and that is when my sleep schedule gets all fucked up.

I should exercise more I agree. Maybe it will help with stress at work.

6. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

I too have struggled with insomnia. Melatonin helped me get a regular sleep pattern and now I rarely take it. Make sure to get plenty of exercise and do not eat too late (and if you do, do not eat something "heavy"/greasy). Find time to unwind before bead. I usually put on some relaxing music, dim the lights, and light a candle. That always seems to do the trick

7. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

Out of all the prescription sleep aids, Ambien has some of the worst hangover effects. I definitely went through a period of time where I was addicted to Ambien, and I screwed up a lot of things in my life.

Napping can definitely mess with your schedule. Try to force yourself to stay awake and then crash out hard. You aren't having issues getting to sleep for your naps, are you?

Even though doctors dont really follow directions, Ambien is supposed to be prescribed for like 7-10 days. It is supposed to get you to get on a normal sleep pattern, not to make you dependent on it. 3 years has made you dependent.

Exercise really does help. It wears your body out, and you should be able to sleep better.

I really reccomend that you try to exercise (even if it is only walking or something for 30 minutes) during the time that you would be napping. A little cardiovascular exercise never hurt anyone :) After that, try to relax and get your mindset ready for sleep. Attempt to get a nice solid 8 hours, with no napping during the day. It'll be hard at first, but if you get on the right track it will be worth it in the end.

8. Paulie Walnuts

Not having issues taking naps. Infact three times in the last 3 weeks I have fallen asleep behind the wheel on the way home from work. I guess I never thought it was that serious until now. I just made an appointment on Friday at 4:20 to see my Dr. I am going to try to make it a habit to bike with the GF almost everynight after work or at least some hyper sex before bed.

I do have a lot on my mind, money issues, demanding job, (I have a ton of responsibility at a very young age managing a $100 million+ account, gettin ready to propose in about 70 days the list goes on.

I find it funny that ambien claims its for short term and I have been on it for 3 years.

I want to get to the point where I dont need anything, I was down to the 5mg ambiens but now I take 10 sometimes 15mg.

9. Paulie Walnuts

Thanks for the advice I will attempt these tactics. Maybe not watching TV before bed either, reading instead. Im not exactly a voracious reader but hell if it puts me to bed without drugs I will try it.

10. Eris

Eris Yes please

... lol is my stuff no good? i know i'm new and all ... but i thought it was helpful!

as for Ambien claiming to be short term ... the drug itself is. doesn't mean the presciber listens.

i work in pharmacy and trust me ... MDs refill just about any controlled sub constantly.

11. Paulie Walnuts

Hard part is ever since college I have laid in bed and watched movies and TV, just my style. In college your bedroom was your living room, kitchen, and sometimes bathroom :rofl::rofl::ugh: dont ask. Im going to fight like hell to not sleep after work tonight but its going to be just that a hell of a fight as right now I am in a daze.

12. Paulie Walnuts

Just getting to you buddy, gotta give me a chance werking inbetween posts.

And post count doesnt mean shit.

13. Eris

Eris Yes please

Gotcha!

I feel you ... I too am very used to watching TV in bed .. hell I still do it and I know I shouldn't!

Hard patterns to break. I've dealt with insomnia since I was about 17 or so. Been a few years. Just a matter of "reprogramming" yourself. I'm still a work in progess.

But I've never used prescribed sleep aids. Granted I have a immunity to just about every OTC sleep aid made.

I found that melatonin worked the best for me.

14. Eris

Eris Yes please

Oh and don't NOT sleep. When reading about sleep issues they say sleep when you're tired. Just don't over do it. Too long of a nap will make you "well rested" and awake so it'll be harder to fall asleep later.

Try napping for 30-60 minutes instead of 2 hours.

15. Avoid napping after work, and on weekends, use Melatonin 3mg 30-60 minutes prior to sleep for 1 week, get at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise [swimming, bicyling, treadmill, walking, jogging, hacky sack - whatever floats your boat] - then call me in 2 weeks.

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

This book ' Hands of Light' from Barbara Ann Brennan, learns you to see aura's.

http://www.goldenboughbooks.com/books/b-hands-of-light-b.jpg

Get this book and read it let's say 1 hour before you goto sleep. And then train into seeing aura's , it completely drains you, if i do that stuff for 30 minutes i go K.O, i cannot believe you can stay awake. Regardless wether you believe in the aura stuff or not, its bound to make you fall asleep. And maby with an additional bonus that you will able to see aura's. Also a regular sleeping pattern is needed, and no more afternoon naps.

17. Paulie Walnuts

Well an update, I crashed hard when I got home from work last night. Slept for 2 hours, I could not stay awake. Took ambien at 10:30 was asleep by 11:30 and up at 7am and feel good today. I will not need to nap today then I have my dr appt tomorrow so hopefully he will put me on something different that wont give me the hangover effect of ambien till I can get on a normal schedule.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

There are a number of sleeping pills out there other than Ambien. That one was horrible for me personally... I'd not sleep, but stumble around mumbling and seeing double. Not fun. Ask your doctor about other alternatives. You have a tolerance. There's even a new one out that is supposed to be GREAT.

But... sleeping pills are sort of a stop-gap fix. Big question is: do you exercise? If not... thats why you can't sleep.

19. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

Everyone has already said it on here but my suggestions would be excercise (wear yourself out so you are tired), meditation (clear your head before bed), and don't do things like reading/ computer/ etc in bed. It confuses your brain when you are trying to go to sleep ;)

20. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

Sometimes it can be due to depression. The doctor may try an antidepressant.

21. deh310

deh310 and what have i become...

what you need to do is learn to really appreciate sleep. If you have never truley been without then you wont understand, when you are truley tired you can and will sleep anywhere. i suppose what i am saying is just drive on and eventually it will even out

22. Good point.

23. johan

johan Active Member

not to hijack this thread, but does this mean you can see auras, DE?

And to the thread starter...I can think of quite a few books on my shelf that are not aura-related but can still put you to sleep pretty quickly. You probably have similar reading material.. ;)

24. AO

AO New Member

Nightwalker,

What do you have in your bedroom?

In mine I have absolutely nothing but my bed and a lamp. There are no dressers, mirrors, etc., and absoleutely no television or radio. The only thing I have is my bed.

Do you have "busy" colours or sheet patterns or energising colours on the sheets or drapes? Pastels may be best.

If you are that tired then you probably are not taking a warm shower before bed and are not getting into a clean bed. Try clean sheets every night and make sure you don't have books on the bed (unless perhaps they are spiritual books. Since you are a money manager the last thing you want to be reading is money management books, accounting books, mortage, stocks, bonds, mutual fund books, etc.) Read something that you would like to dream about.

25. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Yes i can see aura's its no big deal and actually its quite a personal question you ask there which is ok but because it dives into my history , i quitted the whole aura odeal due to some life lesson which is the following ' if for every time a person would pray, instead would stick out his hands and make a difference, the world really would become a better place' , its therefore (although aura watching is cool) is that i stopped, what good is it if i can watch aura's and invest time/effort in it while people who need my help are suffering all over the world :hsugh: , so the common sence of practise instead of preaching and actually helping people is far more important to me personally then seeing aura's. On top of that, i replaced seeing aura's by astral travelling.

And not to hijack the thread also but, astral travelling that's quite something else, i managed to do it 3 times so far. And the first time i managed i questioned my own sanity. I could see my own body lying on the bed, whilst i was standing in the middle of my room, and its absurd. Stupidly enough, out of habit i gues i tried to turn on the light switch, and my hand went straight thru the wall. :hs: The sensation is sooooooo weird. Every room is interconnected while normally the walls seperate things, and there was something else. You feel safe in your room but when you astral travel you feel 'exposed' even in your own room, the whole galaxy seems to be putting pressure on you somehow, because its like your standing in the amazone, everything feels alive, and you are afraid that creatures that are without good intentions might take over your body. That's why i was afraid to leave my room, and there's another thing that is different, lack of gravity you know i immediatly felt it , usually there's a pulling sensation(heck i felt it all my life) of gravity, when you astral travel , its gone =/ ,its just weird. Its lighter ,everything goes more easily. Oh and ehm at one point , this strange (bat alike?) creature entered my room, and that made me freak out, i just dove back into my body before that creature did, and within the 10 seconds that i made that dive i heard a voice saying to me that that thing was an attachment, that i have been carrying with me all my life. And i immediatly woke up.

Experimenting with that stuff is dangerous tho, if your not a being full of love and light you might be in tune with the demons that are cold,and hungry all the time, and want your body for a ride of selfish desire. It can cost your life if they manage to get a hold of your body,or a horrible state of mental retardnes because a body is made to only fit one soul, not 2. Anyway i managed 3 times, but after that every attempt till this day has failed, its rather extremely difficult to seperate your soul from your body. I used the roll method, and it worked the first time. But after that i didnt' have many succesfull attempts.