Always moving my feet when squating..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by july23rd1989, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. july23rd1989

july23rd1989 Blood for Lube

:hsughno: Getting my feet in the right position always seems to be a problem for me when squatting. I move my feet several times while performing even 1 set of squats.

Numbers are pretty low, I can squat as much as I can bench :hs:. Max 1RM is around 200lbs, haven't maxed out in awhile. (close to 2 plate bench woo woo)

Have always squatted in a pair of old skater shoes, thing is I have pretty narrow feet, so lots of movement in there. Tried some cross trainers but felt too weird.

Anyways figured its time to replace the shoes. I did a quick search on google and came across this article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/squat_900_pounds

"Secret #3: Spread the floor! Spread the floor with your feet as you squat. Remember the wide stance? Well, you must also force your knees out hard during the entire motion and push out on the sides of your shoes while you squat. This keeps the tension in the hips where it should be. This is also why most squat shoes, tennis shoes, and cross trainers suck for squatting. The best shoes for squatting are Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars. The soles are flat and the side construction is rugged enough to push out against without a blowout or rolling over the sole."

I tried the spread the floor technique after reading that(with no weight) and wow does that feel way better! Can't weight try that with some weight.

I still believe I should replace the old sneaks although, and the above article mentioned Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars, anyone use them?

Look pretty plain, basically narrower skater shoes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm guessing the "low cut" ones are the ones the article is referring to, Hi ones look like they would get in the way when squatting (unable to move calves forward due to restriction)

Thoughts? Opinions? I know my numbers are low so shouldn't be sweating the small details, but whatever helps :hsugh:

2. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Barefoot > any shoes

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Take your shoes off, find a width that's comfortable for you, and squat.

4. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I have to have at least some heal when I squat

frozen ankles

5. deznutz

deznutz New Member

they are talking about the high top chucks.
    I tried chucks on and there is no way i could squat in them, but i know people do use them.
    I've been using do-win oly shoes for squatting, they are amazing.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_dowins.php

6. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

I just take my shoes off. I don't find it too uncomfortable or weird to squat in my running shoes though. When I'm done warming up and ready to hit 1RM that's when I'll usually take my shoes off.

7. july23rd1989

july23rd1989 Blood for Lube

what size did you get? my skater shoes I squat in are 10.5 but my crosstrainer shoes i run in are 9.5, fairly tight, still have like 0.5cm room in the front. Site says to order 1/2 size smaller then your running shoes, think I should go for 9's?

Not going to order them yet, going to try squatting without shoes on for a couple work outs, see how that goes. Probably order a pair of those allstars since they like ~$50 no biggie. Go for the Hi tops right?

8. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i always squat/deadlift barefoot

9. deznutz

deznutz New Member

I am a size 11 shoe, you're suppose to go 1/2 size down from your athletic shoe size.
    They are very accomodating with returns.

And yes, barefoot would probably solve your problems anyways

10. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

I own chucks, wrestling shoes, and VS athletics oly shoes and I prefer squatting in the wrestling shoes by far, unless I'm doing a narrower stance and then I like the oly shoes

I ordered my normal size for the VS shoes and they fit good

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

sometimes i'm not that comfortable with my stance but once i go down for one i keep my feet where it's at and just keep repping. :dunno:

12. Spur

Spur Boomer

SHOES SHOULD NOT DETERMINE FOOT SPACING

In terms of an athletic person, it should be easy to determine foot spacing.

You're feet should be approx. at shoulder width for maximal effort.

If you're feet move. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.