GUN Aluminum vs. Stainless vs. PMAGS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZCP M3, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Well the time has come to order mags and I'm torn on what I should buy. I currently have 9 CProducts 30rd Aluminum, 2 CProducts 20rd Stainless, and 1 Magpul 20rd PMAG.

I love shooting with the PMAG, enough that I'm tempted to switch all my mags to PMAGs, but with a possible permanent AWB looming I'm sort of leaning towards buying stainless mags for longevity.

Anyone have any input?

2. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Stainless will outlast both if you're talking a "possibly forever" sort of scenario.

3. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

In your lifetime for what you use it for, it doesn't matter. Get the Pmags already. And you blame me for being indecisive?

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Actually the polymer mags are tougher than the aluminum or stainless mags. The issues with the metal mags is if you step on them when empty they can get runied. This was a big thing when we shot 3 gun back during the first ban.

If you had a favorite mag you didn't drop it on the ground where the RO or the people scoring the stage behind you could step on it. I remember on guy almost lost his cool when he saw some dude standing on his "go to" mag.

The pmags though polymer are super tough. In theory you could park your car on a empty mag and it would be fine.

another concern is the feed lips. The constant slammin of the rounds into the lips as you fire can tweak them. This was a issue with the metal mags but of course you could bend them back. There were guys who specialty was to reform the feed lips back during the ban. The pmags are suppose to be better about this too.

5. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

At MOST I shoot through 5 mags in a given range trip. This was with my bargain bin CMMG & shooting surplus M193. Now that I've built a bench shooter and will be shooting M855 and higher grain bullets, that will likely drop. Plus I like the 20rd mags better for bench shooting and the fact that ammo comes in 20rd boxes it pleases my OCD. :o

I'm swaying towards this plan: Selling my 9 aluminum CProducts mags and picking up 5 30rd and 3 more 20rd Stainless CProducts. Those 10 mags will just sit in my safe until something else breaks. Then I'll pick up 4 20rd and 5 30rd PMAGs to use everyday.

So my total mag count would be...
    5 20rd PMAGs (everyday bench shooting)
    5 30rd PMAGs (everyday general shooting)
    5 20rd CProducts Stainless ("forever" bench shooting)
    5 30rd CProducts Stainless ("forever" general shooting)

This brings my grand total to $255 spent and anywhere from $90-135 will be recouped from selling my aluminum mags...
    Is 20 mags enough? :o

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  6. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

i bought some of the aluminum and pmags, the aluminum just for cheap range mags

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

There are certain things I like the aluminum mags for. They can take the arredondo feed which makes the mag better for monopoding off of. they also insert and drop better than the pmags. I've been meaning to sand a few of my pmags so the seat and drop easier.

8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Fuck it, just put the plan in motion. 4/20rd and 5/30rd PMAGs on backorder from Brownells as well as 3/20rd and 5/30rd CProducts Stainless on backorder from 44Mag. I'll decide what to do with my 9 aluminum mags when these actually ship. :o

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

PM me specs and price :o

10. Emfuser

Absolutely

The difference is that your stainless mags won't turn into plastic dust due to natural material degradation during your lifetime.

Don't get me wrong people. I love PMAGS, have some, and will buy more. I just know a bit about materials science. :hs:

11. Emfuser

:mamoru: :wavey:

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

True but the SS feed lips will wear out way before you have to worry about the polymer degrading. Also the polymer would probably last several lifetimes with proper care. Not like we are burying them in landfills.

you also have to worry about the seams of the metal mags. They are just spot welded. this is the part that breaks when a empty mag is stepped on. The pmags have no seam that can break.

13. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Glad I went half stainless and half PMAGs. :wavey:

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you plan on crating them and forgetting about them for 100yrs, get SS or Alu.

If you plan on using them at any point inside of that, get PMags.

15. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Exactly my plan. PMAGs for everyday use, stainless in reserve in case a PMAG becomes unrepairable in the event of a permanent AWB. :coold:

Now I gotta buy some M855. :wtc:

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Is that a realistic concern for the pmag material though? I don't think any of the 30 year old glocks are turning to dust yet. Now the black dog .22 magazines seem like a much cheaper kind of plastic, I don't expect those to last as well.