Aluminum MacBook crew: How do you like yours? Any problems with it at all?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ///M, Dec 2, 2008.

1. ///M

///M New Member

:x:

I'm loving my $1299 MacBook, it's my second newer (read: post-OSX) mac. My first was a G4 Mac mini from 2005. It seems like this should hold up pretty well, even compared to the thinkpad I just sold :cool:

I can't find anything about it I don't like, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna use this more than my new Vista64 machine I just built (e8400, hd4850, 8gb ram) :coolugh:

Post up what you think of yours.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

- The battery cover has the possibility of getting loose easily, making a clicky noise whenever you put it down on a surface. Mine doesn't.
    - I bought mine at the end of Oct. and I already have some dead pixels :ugh: This is unacceptable IMO, it's a month old and I plan on keeping this laptop for a few years... and it already has dead pixels? I'm planning on taking it into Apple and hope they give me a new one.
    - Browse macrumors.com for a new Color Calibration... the default one blows, very washed out.

Other then that... no problems at all! I love it so much, I have a super powerful Wintel desktop and I kinda wanna get rid of it now and just use my Mac :o Never thought I'd say that...

3. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

my new macbook pro is great except for the sleep issues and external monitor issues.

plugging in the external monitor is a pain sometimes because it takes way too long for it to notice i've expanded the desktop to a second monitor.

also sometimes it goes to sleep and doesnt wake up or it wakes up when it's supposed to be a sleep.

4. ///M

///M New Member

:werd: i got that JC Diplay calibration going. Sucks about the dead pixels, do you have applecare? I'm planning on getting it within the year especially if any problems start popping up since it's only $183 for student pricing.

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out the keyboard for a backlit one? I'd really like that but don't want to spend the extra cash for the higher model :o Also, does anyone use a keyboard cover? I hate it when keys start looking all shiny :o

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

6. ///M

///M New Member

I was talking about one of the silicone skins that goes over the keyboard :o I just ordered one off of amazon :o

Isn't the hardware warranty 1 year? :confused:

7. JRide

JRide New Member

I never really liked Mac all that much. First experience was with buying my mom a iMac because she kept killing PC's. 3 years later and the iMac is still going strong. Last year I picked up a iMac 24" and have been loving it. Two months ago I picked up a iPhone 3G and this past weekend my wife just got the MacBook 13" 2.4.

I don't think I'll ever buy another PC again.

8. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:o you're right, it is one year... I have an appointment at the genius bar on Friday. I can count 7+ dead/stuck pixels now so hopefully they give me a brand-spankin new unit... which has 0 flaws. :noes:

9. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

the only problem I have so far with mine is that it's not here yet :mad:

10. Nykwil

Nykwil Active Member

I'm personally not a fan of the silicon skins that go over the keys cuz the oils from your fingers stays on the skin and when you close the lid it could deposit oils onto the screen.

I bought a radtech screensaverz but it's too thick. It closes properly but when u hold the macbook trackpad side up the lid opens. :hs:

I love my macbook though. I covered it in a BodyGuardz skin

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my only complaint is i keep accidentally rotating images in cs4 when I use the trackpad. :o

12. ///M

///M New Member

I usually keep my hands pretty clean when I'm using my computers, just when the keys get shiny I don't like it :o

Anyway, I ordered a bestskinsever full body skin for it, as well as an incase neoprene sleeve :cool:

13. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a vagina.

14. Nykwil

Nykwil Active Member

:mamoru2:

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you didn't get that option? i thought everyone picked that up. you know, get the memory after-market because it's cheaper, but get the vagina with the system because it is better integrated and required less maintenance.

16. Nykwil

Nykwil Active Member

Mine came with a USB powered fleshlight :o

17. dres2k

dres2k OT Supporter

2.53 ghz mbp late 2008 here. so far, as my first laptop coming from desktops all my life, its an awesome computer. It's also my first mac..and i'm learning the ins and outs as i go, but overall i like it. The trackpad kicks ass especially since it works much like my iphone, which is also pretty kickass lol

The only problem i've had is that I bought the laptop BNIB on ebay.com and ended up getting one with a single dead pixel. I brought it to the apple store the same day i got it, and they hooked me up with a brand new one. so i can't complain really. So far so good!

18. Nezart

Nezart OT Supporter

love it, no problems