Alternator

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Wolvrin704, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My damn alternator went out yesterday. I was on my way to work when my charging light came on. On the way home last night I could watch my volt meter just drop. Had to take a vacation day so I can change the thing. But first I must charge my battery up so I can get to the parts store and pay the piper for a rebuilt. For anyone who thinks its my battery its not, its only about 4 months old and when I pulled the nagative cable the truck died ( old trick my dad taught me). So unless I have a loose wire on the alternator it is bad. What is really ironic is that the company I work at builds alternators and starters. If only we made them for F150's!

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

come on you can make a F150 alt fit it jsu tmake take alot of zip ties and duct tape

my started went out the ohter day so every where i went i just let the truck run till i got the starter adn got home to put it on

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Just found out its gonna be 2 hours before I can get one. Went to one of the local parts stores they didn't have any, they called 2 other places and only one could get it today, in 2 hours.

Best selling vehicle on the planet and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get parts sometimes.

:mad:

4. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Good news:
    Got the alternator on, no problem. The hardest thing was the tensioner and serpintine belt.

Bad news:
    On the way to work this morning truck started running very rough. In the past its always been a spark plug wire fell off(long story). Checked the wires 3x before I got home tonight nothing wrong. Got home took off plug wire and spark plug. There appeared to be oil all over the plug. 2 possibilities heres; cracked head or blown O-ring. A head would be bad, several hundred dollars, O-ring would be an entire overhaul and cost a couple thousand I do not have. Anyway I cleaned the plug off, sanded off the carbon buildup and blew out the oil inside the head. I then replaced the plug and drove around the block. It appears to be ok but then this morning it was okay the first couple of miles down the road. So wish me luck on the way to work.

BTW, there is 1 other possiblity. When changing the alternator I took off a cooling hose right next to that plug. Alot of coolant came out and could have possibly gotten into the hole and fouled it out. But I swear when I looked at the plug it looked like clean fresh oil and it was just changed a month ago. Hopefully thats all it was, but with my luck its got to be the o-rings.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

as you can see by my avatarI have an F=150.. The darndest thing myne has had many alternator problems in the past also. Amazin isnt it. I have some friends that have f-150s and they have alternator probs in the past. Hmm a mystery that escapes us all.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

hey shinobin do you have a bigger pic of that grill adn thw whole truck

7. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

This is the first I've had and I got 97K miles. Do you or your friends have the 130 amp alternator or the 95 amp? I have the 130 amp on my truck.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

damn right i have the 130 and my truck is like 3 miles to the 80 k mark. and all my friends except one have the 130 which is 4 out of 5

9. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Well my week has gotten better. I drove to work and back home with no problems. BTW I drive 22 miles one way so there is plenty of time to get warmed up and truck to go BOOM. I am going to take the plug back out today and recheck it but I believe now that it was just coolant/antifreeze.