Alternator Whine

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tucker McElroy, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Tucker McElroy

Tucker McElroy New Member

I have a stock CD changer in my car that was originally in the trunk. I extended the wires so it's now under my passenger seat. In doing so, I've developed an alternator whine in the speakers. Is there something I can add to the wires to eliminate this? The wires originally were unshielded, altho much shorter, so I used unshielded to rewire it. Will something like this from Radio Shack help? Any other products?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_002_009_000&product_id=273-105

Thanks gurus...

2. why extend the wires when you are moving it closer to the headunit? i know it was easier, but i suggest you go back and do it the right way instead of bandaging the problem. whine is sometimes caused by crossing power wires with signal (speaker/RCA) wires, so check the wires and separate them if necessarry. you might want to try insulating the signal wires. since you said it was fine before, i think you should be able to fix it without needing to buy anything. good luck.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

you should also check all the system grounds.

4. Tucker McElroy

Tucker McElroy New Member

The CD Changer interfaces with the amplifier in the trunk. All of the electronics, minus the face plate of just switches, is all in the trunk. (Shitty Ford Mach sound system) The wire is 10 seperate 20 guage wires using an OEM connector. There really is no way to distinguish what is power, what is control, and what is signal. Thanks for the ideas.

5. you can use a testlight to find the power wire(s) and shield those.