Alternatives to Quickbooks?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheDarkHorizon, Feb 25, 2004.

1. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

First, it'd be nice if I could convert the Quickbooks database into another format, but if that's not possible, I'd really just like any other alternatives that are better than that piece of crap I have to deal with. Here's the situation:

We use Quickbooks Pro 2001 at work and have a very large database, over 100MB. It takes computers over the network in multi-user mode to open and execute operations about half a minute whereas it runs instantly in single-user mode. (This was tested with only two users connected, but usually there are at least five computers connected). I upgraded the network from 100Mbit to 1Gbit to see if it was a network problem, but it was still slow. I monitored the transfer speed for files and I was getting over 200Mbit through Windows shares, but Quickbooks only used 10Mbit (for a 100MB file, this takes forever).

I've tried just about everything and am now giving up hope for this worthless piece of software.

Cliffnotes: What are some good alternatives to Quickbooks for large databases for multiple users?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Shouldn't you be asking the accountants about this? I mean they'd be pissed at work if I suddenly changed from AccPAC :rofl:

My suggestion would be to talk to someone who specializes in the program though - you're not the first person to have to deal with this issue and you certainly aren't the largest user.

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Look into SQL-Ledger. It's written in PERL and works with most SQL server backends, and is totally free.

http://www.sql-ledger.org/

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Quickbooks is fine if you use it as intended. If you have a 100MB company file or need more than 5 users, you've obviously outgrown Quickbooks. It served its purpose at the time when you were small and it was a lot cheaper than "real" accounting packages that might cost several thousand dollars per module. Its time to upgrade but don't blame the program.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Peachtree is pretty good.

6. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

Everyone who uses it knows how slow it is. They want to upgrade. Even my boss wants to get rid of it. I was just looking for alternatives.