Alternatives to Dell

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Create, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Create

Create :free at last:

FU Dell.

Can anyone offer some alternative vendors for the small business buyer. Price and availibility of XP are the core considerations.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

3. Create

Optiplex as a bare minimum, ty.

But who are decent alternate vendors for the non-volume buyer?

4. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

We have a contract with Dell, so all new office computers are dell. We were worried about the same thing, my understanding was if you contact your dell rep directly or just contacted Dell they would continue selling machines with XP on request as long as Microsoft was still selling it to dell.

5. Create

1st post edited.

6. Create

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  7. Create

Acer model above purchased along with 3x 17" lcd's. I hop I don't regret this.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Other than the shared ram graphics, I don't see what there would be to regret.

And you could always add more memory, so that's not really much of a problem.

Solid machines for the price.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

emachines beat dell in many categories (and tied in the others) in a side-by-side comparison

10. Create

feeling better :)

11. Create

eMachines are HP prices for the power.

12. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'd still do Dell, bought 2 today. 1 is a Vista box so we can see what it's all about :hsugh:

13. 7960

7960 New Member

I've read this about 12 times and have no idea what you mean.

14. Create

eMachines cost alot for what you get, just like HP. It's probably because they are higher quality machines. At the low end of the market (where I'm buying) it's cheaper to just throw money at power rather than efficiency, meaning one should upgrade the processor in a Dell rather than buy a properly-tuned HP.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

I have or have told people to buy probably 12 or 13 emachines. Nobody has paid more than $400 and they're coming fairly well equipped. How is $400 for a machine with 120G drive, 512 ram, cd/dvd-rw, etc "a lot"?

And before you say 120G/512 ram isn't enough and would need to be upgraded if this is a business then there should be some soft of off-box storage/backup so 120G drive should be plenty and 512 ram can be doubled for $30.

Like I said, I'm looking at upwards of 12+ emachines I've been around for over 5 years and so far the only unexpected problem has been one dead hard drive that emachines replaced.

Last, people think dell is the shit but emachines beat them in most categories and tied in all the rest, and it was a less expensive box. So if it's less expensive and beats/ties dell and I haven't seen a problem in 5 years on 12+ machines, how is it "a lot"?

16. Create

I linked a $500 Acer. The equivalent eMachines box costs >$650, yet still doesn't include the correct OS.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

For Servers Sun's Opterons are very cheap, starting at $945 for a dual core (or $745 for a single core). And if you call a local Value Added Reseller, you can get them about 10% cheaper than that. And if you join the Sun Startup Essentials program, and tell the VAR that AFTER they give you the initial quote, they'll chop off an additional 8%. To qualify as a startup you just have to be less than 3 years old, and less than 50 employees. I don't even think they verify that info.

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

But if he's going to use x86 processors, and most likely delete Solaris and install Windows Server, he might as well just buy Dell blade servers instead and save both money and time.

Sun is great if you know, or are willing to learn, how to use Solaris, but that's the only selling point that I know of, at least right now. Are there any other benefits?

19. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I dont think he is even talking about purchasing servers.

I've worked with HPs (and Compaq Deskpros before the merger) for a while now and have had great success with them. I havent priced one vs a Dell recently, but they're worth looking at.

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Dude... you don't have to run Solaris. They are certified to run Windows if you want. Or Linux. Since you don't know anything about Sun and their servers, you could have googled to find this out immediately. I miss jollyogre.

The nice thing about the Suns is they are fast and cheap. Which is exactly what he is looking for: an Alternative to Dell.

Their workstations are a bit more expensive. Opteron workstations start at $895 for single core, $995 for dual. But again, you can get that for 15% or so cheaper from a VAR, and by the Sun Startup Essentials program.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  21. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Server/Workstations break his budget regardless. $795 = barebones, no OS, no monitor, 1 year warranty. Easily over 2k once you factor monitors and OS. Besides he bought a trio of Acer's already. Do you work for Sun or have tons of their stock per chance?

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes, and yes. And yes, given his second post, my first post is not relevant to this thread.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Honestly, if I had to buy such cheap PCs... I'd buy a Sun server with Win2K and some Sun Rays. $250 a pop for a thin client ain't bad. That would actually be a good deal, and would only slightly break his budget here... but he could add several more Sun Rays and not run into a performance problem for most office desktop applications.

24. Create

Great info Peyomp. At the least you've got me curious enough to dig a bit, possibly recommend Sun to a client to get some hands-on experience.

I didd a few half price Server '03 installs to learn. This'd be no different.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3598366

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1959110,00.asp

Honestly, I don't see a reason to have the nightmare of putting an unsecure operating system on a dozen little computers, and have them slow down from crapware over time, neccessitating re-installs. I'd just as soon have $250 Sun Ray 2 terminals for average office workers, and have ONE server to maintain.

This starts to pay off once you get to 2-3 users and beyond. The dumb terminal making a comeback... who woulda thought?

It should be noted that I haven't actually used these, but am intending to use them as POS stations. A really nice feature is this: users get smart cards. You put in a smart card and you are where you left off. From any Sun Ray hooked to that server.

Nice, eh?

Oh, and I would STILL buy a Sun Opteron Server to run them off, and put Windows Server on it. And I would upgrade the hardware support to 3 year. Its not very expensive. Sun's included warranty on their Oppys is the best I have ever encoutered in any industry. They show up within a day to fix your problem, even if you don't buy support, for a year. Nice, eh?

And yes, we are a Sun Partner. But there's a reason for that.