Alternative to iSight camera?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rusbrmasas, Feb 6, 2008.

1. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Mac Pro. I would like to get a good quality camera for it. Since Apple no longer sells the iSight, is there a way to get a reasonably priced camera that will work well with iChat/Photo Booth/iMovie?

I am currently using a USB camera (the Xbox Live Vision Camera) and it works alright, but generally has poor performance.

I have been looking at bids on eBay, but iSights normally go for around $200 US before shipping. Is there a cheaper alternative that delivers good performance, or is the iSight the only way to go?

Thanks.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

3. Stemby

Stemby Whoooose House? COOOOOOOOOOOOGS HOUSE!

an idea on a release date?

4. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

Thanks! I didn't know Apple was planning on releasing a new HD iSight. I might wait on that too :).

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

iSight built into the current Mac laptops are 1.3MP so they are in fact HD.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

The one on my MBP is 640x480 :o
    Its an older one though.

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'm not positive they are, but it would only make sense for them to release one for mac pro owners.

Unless they just build one into the new cinema displays and forget about those of us with the current ACD's

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple didn't bring back the iSight as a stand alone item. It was the slowest selling Apple product and didn't make them much.

9. skolen

skolen Guest

They had the fucking nerve to sell them at $400, it serves them right.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yeah retailed for $149 which was crazy compared to all the $20 webcams on the market at the time. Then again it was FireWire and offered more FPS then most other cameras out there.

11. skolen

skolen Guest

I'm almost positive they sold for $350. They're retardedly expensive on eBay.

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Nope $149. It's one of those things like the original AirPort cards where since they aren't made anymore they cost crazy amounts (old AirPort cards are still around $99 while AirPort Extreme cards are $69 or less).

"The iSight was sold retail for US$149 as an external unit which connects to a computer via FireWire cable and comes with a set of mounts to place it atop any current Apple display, laptop computer, or all-in-one desktop computer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISight

13. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

they were definitely around $150...

My mom's old laptop doesn't have a cam and she wants to get one so we can video chat every now and then but we didn't know if anything else would work out there besides the iSight. Thanks for the info!

14. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

the old one also had a real glass lens, auto iris, firewire etc etc. much better than the shit you get for $20....