SRS Alright, WTF? I've been a crybaby lately

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dano, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

Examples:

1) There's a commercial from Iams or something on TV that shows a family looking to adopt a dog, but it's from the dog's view. The family looks at the dog and walks away and the dog looks sad. There's sad music in the background. EVERY time I see it I well up like a baby.

2) I watched Independence Day on Sunday night. Yeah, the Will Smith Independence Day, and freaking did the same thing. Any time there was something remotely sad or romantic I started to well up. When the president's wife was dieing, when the guy's came back from space and saw their wimmenz, etc.

I never full out cry or have tears running down my face, but I just get teary-eyed. It's weird as shit and lord help me if I ever have a girl over here and we watch a romantic flick. She'll either think I'm insane or a giant pussy. :rofl:

Recent stress/changes in my life? I moved out at the start of this month. That's about it. I still visit home once a week to steal food out of the fridge and do laundry and play with my nephew. I'm happy with my work and social life. Haven't been in a relationship since around October I want to say. IIRC, it lasted 7 months. I ended it because she always thought I was cheating on her, which I never did, never in any relationship for that matter. I haven't been on a date since the end of last month. That does not really bother me though (the dating thing) because I'm so wrapped up with work and school. Both of those are going great. Good grades, getting some actual studying done, love my job/coworkers/management.

Any guesses here guys/gals? I've never been this way before so it's a little strange.

2. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

That Iams commercial is a sad commercial bro.

3. Ark

Ark New Member

More than likely its brought on by stress. Sometimes stress for me comes up and I never even realize I'm stressed until its over or I finally notice changes in my attitude. When I was in the middle of negotiations on a house I felt fine but when the negotiations were over (i didn't get the house) I felt a ton better and then realized I was stressed out before. Looking back at that time I was over emotional and generally freaked out most of the time. Loneliness can also bring that kind of emotion out because you may not be happy in your current situation. It will pass.

4. hbrown023

hbrown023 New Member

I've cried at the IAMS commercial too.

5. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

That is sad!

Dude, the same thing happened to me during that scene.

Or she'll think you're a human being who has empathy and compassion. Relax chief, it's normal.

Perhaps you matured.

6. Jovian

Jovian New Member

What Iams commercial? :wiggle:

7. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

8. Tzuma

Tzuma New Member

Im going to throw out another option.

I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. Im 'emotional' in the sense that I accept them instead of hiding them/ignoring them. I initially had the same reaction you did, "WTF?" It wasnt normal, but I found myself welling up during random commercials or certain songs I didnt have an emotional tie to.

After spending a lot of time figuring out, I came to realize I was missing the closeness that the people in the commercials/songs had. The people seemed to have an extremely powerful and meaningful relationship with each other that touched me to my core.

I realized that I wasnt as close as that to my friends, my family, my girlfriend (now fiance). I realized that a lot of things in my life were more surface in order to keep other people happy.

I made a change and made sure that I connected/reconnected on people at this level. Ive grown a lot closer to my friends by mentioning this, and doing something about it, my relationship with my folks is stronger than over, and obviously, the fiance said yes so... ;)

With you so busy with your jobs and school, as well as not being in a relationship currently, and moving out from your family (no matter how far you moved) it could be your just missing that cosmic closeness that those incredible relationships are built from.

Take a deep look into your relationships with those around you, do you wish you were closer on some subconscious level? Can you do anything to improve on that?

9. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Tzuma on this also. It's not unusual for that to be apart of something like this.

10. dano

dano OT Supporter

You can't really get much closer, in my situation, with family. It's a 70 mile round trip to visit them (mom, sister, nephew) so once a week is about the max to visit them. I still love them all, that wasn't the reason I moved. As mentioned it's a long round trip to drive where they moved and I work and go to school downtown here in Detroit so it made almost no sense to drive down here 7 days a week at nearly 500 miles/week.

I cut out the half-assed, crappy friends in my life and only talk with/hang out with close ones. They're all on the same level as me, work/school dominates most of the week but when I get a chance to get out I do just that.

I don't really desire a relationship at this point in time. It's such a commitment. Perhaps subconsciously I do want one, but I honestly don't think I do right now.

11. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

The IAMS commercial with Echo makes me sad, too.. :hs:

12. childofbean

childofbean Green Member

I can't believe they walk right past the dog. :wtc:

13. FartLighter

FartLighter Resident Fart Expert OT Supporter

14. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

It could also be that you aren't experiencing much in the way of emotional experiences lately and you're now reaching out with empathy just for the sake of feeling something. It would also be for the reasons Metallic Blue and Tzuma said too.

I had the same WTF feelings when I first started crying at movies. The first time I ever actually had tears run down my face was when I saw 'Click' in theaters, I was so frickan pissed that an Adam Sandler movie made me cry, so I punched my husband and blamed it on him. LOL (I didn't punch him hard, don't worry) But I realized that because of my love for my husband (something I'd never felt before) I was able to relate to the love depicted on my screen and feel what they were acting like they felt.

Seriously that IAMS commercial has made me cry too. I'll take you home Echo!

15. dano

dano OT Supporter

Well now I'm truly waterworks, and if this isn't much in the way of emotions" then I don't know what is.

I was in my clinical rotation this morning and my mom called me, then called again, so I answered knowing it had to be important.

My uncle, godfather, of age 55 died unexpectedly around 6 AM this morning. He was in good health so they're thinking it was a heart attack or stroke.

He was on the gift of life registry so at least some good will come of this. :hs:

16. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:hug:

17. Ark

Ark New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle.

You made me realize why I've been feeling crappy and emotional as of lately with that. I've been much like you. I just got out of a relationship which was the first relationship in about 4 years that I really got close to. Up until that point I dated but never let the girl get close to me and this one I did and it hurts breaking up and moving on. The thing is that that isn't really what bothered me. In the process of us breaking up, I found out some of our mutual friends weren't nearly as good of friends to me as I thought. She used them against me to try to hurt me after we ended it and I've lately had to cut those friends out and honestly that hurt more than losing the girl.

I know personally that I miss the closeness and the connection I had in my previous relationship. So anytime I see that connection in others it makes me long for what I don't have right now. I think some of it is the fact that I'm moving out as soon as I can find a place I like and that is making me grow up faster. But honestly can't piece how that part fits into the emotions I have right now.

18. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Goddam :wtc: I AM AT WORK AND ON A FRONT DESK DAMMIT!!!

:hs:

19. pseudonymous

pseudonymous New Member

^ Is that a drow elf in your avatar?

20. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Only 2 movies made me cry that i'll tell you about

When Gandalf died in LOTR 1 - good god.

braveheart when the little his wife gives him the flower as a kid, and when he gives it back.. and when he leaves the princess.. when he yells freedom.. when..

ok i'll stop.. I was basically crying all through braveheart.. im such a pussy

21. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

I have no idea honestly. Someone once told me to post my bewbs in the main forum so I did a Google image search on "bewbs" and that was one of the results so I made it an av :big grin:

22. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Green Mile did me in.

LOTR - ROTK when Frodo left his friends behind in the end :wtc:

23. dano

dano OT Supporter

Alright gang, this shit is still happening.

I watched Meet the Robinsons last week and the same thing happened, quite a bit. Yes, it's a Disney movie, but it's not like it had any Bambie's mom moments in it.

I passed my semester, feel I've grown as a person this year (feel more mature), solidified my true friends, still love my job; everything besides my dating life is great. Dating life is not a big issue with me still. I don't really want a relationship at this time. Fuck buddy maybe, but I don't think not having a fuck buddy would make me cry like a banshee.

24. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

It's quite simple actually. You are over identifying. I suppose every emotion is heightened to some degree, noticeable or not. I suggest watching yourself and becoming more conscious of yourself, and this is a moment to moment type of thing that fails the second you stop. It's active, not passive.

You are becoming intensely identified with it all, and I am sure there is a large group of people like you suffering silently.

25. mushokuro

mushokuro Advanced being

Sorry for the bump, but ive actually felt like crying after watching certain scenes in movies to. It mainly started after speaking to a psych about some stuff. Maybe letting my guard down allowed me to 'feel' stuff i usually wouldnt.