Alright, what do you guys think here...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by turbo35, Sep 11, 2003.

1. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

Okay, first off, brief system description.

Up front, Eclipse 8051 (8v, 3 sets preouts, passive head)

3 pairs Knu Konceptz RCAs (the best ones, I forget the name)

Old ass Alpine V12 MRV-F352 (only using 4 channels, not sub channel)

front: MB Quart DSD 212 components (5.25", 1", x-overs)

rear: 5.25" PPI coaxes (carbon fiber cones - bling! :rolleyes: )

2 JL 10W0's in a box, bridged on some Sony 2-channel (~75 watts/sub, I believe)

Okay, now the question... When I usually listen (about "40" on the head unit's 0-80 scale), I put the sub boost up a few clicks to give it a desired level. When I turn it up, the sub gets louder with the music up to about "60", but from "60" to "80" it doesn't really seem like it's getting any louder.

Does that sound like the subs are reaching their max volume, or the amp's not pushing any more power? It's not really distorting signifigantly, just not getting any louder.

Also, what amp would you suggest? The subs are 8 ohm, so I have the 2 of em bridged to 4 ohm, so I can probably get some decent power cheap off a 4-ohm load on a 2-channel bridged...

Another thing, the Alpine is pretty old, and not super powerful (I think ~30w x 4 RMS), is it worth switching that out? Would it be a noticible quality difference?

I'm just dogging my system lately, because I got to sit in a friend's friend's car (Lexus LS400) and hear his system (mostly home audio stuff, I think, IDMax subs, etc)... it was amazing. I think he competes, not sure if he does IASCA or what...

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

that sony amp is basically worthless for subs, i would..
    bridge the front and rear channels of the alpine 5 channel on the comps, get rid of the rear speakes and sony amp, and run the subs off the sub channel of the alpine... but that's me.

3. turbo35

Sub channel on the Alpine cut out about a year ago, and it doesn't seem worth it to have it fixed, probably more expensive than buying a sub amp, which I'll probably end up doing... The Sony was just lying around. What kind of power would you recommend to push 2 10w0-8's?

You think the components bridged on the amp would sound better than front and rears?

4. turbo35

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

then sell the ppi coaxs, the alpine, and the sony amps.

get this for your mb quart comps > http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/USAUSX2050
    get this for your jl audio subs(bridged mono, with a 4ohm load) > http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/USAUSX2080