Alright- Time to upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mapileTree, May 5, 2005.

1. mapileTree

mapileTree Active Member

So my 4 year old dell isnt up to par anymore, nor will the parts i pump into it reach their full potential. im looking to build a p4 system, and keep my old hard drives and vid card. problem is, im not familiar with whats good and whats not good off of newegg.

getting to the point (cliffs)- reccomendations for a socket 478 intel motherboard?

also, im not real familiar with what kind of memory is good for me. im looking to run stuff as heavy as doom3, but something that can also multitask well.

edit: not looking to overclock, and my current card is a radeon aiw 9600xt

2. mapileTree

mapileTree Active Member

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you don't want a s478 board. But if you HAD to get one, try an Intel D865PERLL or D875PBZL

what HDD and GFX card to you have?

4. mapileTree

mapileTree Active Member

9600xt; im contemplating on the HDDs, whether or not to upgrade. right now i have a western digital 120 GB...uhhh WD1200JB and the other came with this dell shit and its an 8 gb maxtor 6l080l if that means anything.

5. mapileTree

mapileTree Active Member

wahts wrong about socket 478s?

6. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

its dated and AMD fanboys will forever trying to tap your ass telling you to go AMD and socket 939. If you're not going to overclock the Intel boards are solid, a bit lackluster when it comes to features though. I am an MSI man, they're fairly cheap and usually have something useful on them. DFI boards are very very nice, colors are a bit loud and without a need to overclock they're pretty pricey.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, I like intel more than amd, right now. And the s775 boards support overclocking, even with the intel-brand boards.

I'd go with a 775 platform and an intel d925xcvlk or d915pbll. I'd also go with a new video card and a sata hdd.

8. mapileTree

mapileTree Active Member

do sata hdd's work the same way (installation wise) as just any like ide hdd?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they function similarly. Except they're faster, their cables are smaller, reducing restrictions, improving airflow, and you don't have to worry about jumpers.