Alright those good with home networking, need some help *diagrams*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slimmy, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

these are real rough diagrams of my parent's house that I made in powerpoint but it gets the idea across. the bottom floor is self explanatory, i didn't label hallways or anything. as for the top floor, anything that isn't labeled doesn't exist, as the top floor is mostly overhanging open space overlooking the bottom floor. so my questions are, what is the best way to wire this to get everything hooked up. my parents just finally got into the world of broadband with DSL and i'm in charge of hooking up the whole house when I go home for spring break. it doesn't really matter where the dsl modem and router are as far as I or they care, as long as we can hook up everything without having wires hanging everywhere. so what's the best way to do this, since running them right along walls isn't an option dealing with two floors and two rooms in the open (living and dining)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rooms in red text need to be wired, and the red squares are the locations of the computers.

I realize these are really weak diagrams but I'm a visual person so I figure there is others out there who are visual too and might be able to better help me plan this out so I can do it quick when I get home.

:)

2. Slimmy

And my dad was thinking of going wireless, but I informed him that it would be cheaper to just get a wired router and run the wires.

And what's a good budget priced DSL router that I could get?

And i have pretty easy access to the attic upstairs right outside the bathroom so I can get up there to run wires to my room if need be.

3. Slimmy

4. Slimmy

Those phoneline networks work well at all?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well, if I were you I would go wireless, or do a top notch job and wire inside the walls. I mean it really depends on where you want your jacks if you indeed want jacks. Adding an additional computer requires another wireless NIC, but you have the flexibility of not being next to a fixed outlet (more beneficial to laptops than anything else). This is a half decent sized house so there really shouldn't be a problem with $. So either go big and wire the whole house which will take days away from your spring break, or pop a handful of NICs and a router. Or to cut costs, do some of the rooms wired, and the rest wireless (do you really need a connection in the dining room?)

6. Slimmy

The computer desk is in the dining room, so yea. I guess the wireless router would be a good idea now that I think about it. I can probably set it up upstairs in my sister's room and run a cable to my room, and then use wireless for her laptop and then either wire the dining room computer or get a wireless NIC for it. Plus, she's been looking to get a wireless card anyway so she can bring her laptop on campus.

7. Slimmy

Actually now that I think about it, I don't even know how i'd do that from her room to mine. Argh, this shit is confusing, i'd rather do wired than wireless.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Looks like you could drop a wire from sisters to the dining room straight down thru the walls. And since you're in FL, you might as well just go outside to do the wiring.

9. Slimmy

Yea, I was thinking about going outside.