Alright ATI and Laptop guys, Fill me in!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by G Rant, Oct 31, 2005.

1. G Rant

G Rant Chillin'

Alright so I am looking at laptops on ebay and most of them have ATI 64mb Video cards. I have never owned an ATI card. I have always ran Nvida stuff. Most of the games and things I run (IE battlefied 2) Require like 128 mb Nvida cards.

Does ATI run lower MB for around the same preformace?

Sorry if it is confusing, it is kinda late.

Thanks

2. G Rant

G Rant Chillin'

Well I do have a desktop that is more than capable of running the games. I didnt not mean to say that the laptop would be mostly used for gaming.

I will play some games on it but I was just wondering if the ATI video cards were the same as in the mb of the card.

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

A gaming laptop, especially one that'll run BF2 will cost a lot. And no, a 64mb ATI or Nvidia card will not do the job. At 64mb, both GPU companies cards are pretty much the same.

4. ski

ski New Member

My old R40 had a 64m ATI card and could run every game up to WoW and EQ2. My current R52 has a 128 intel and can run pretty much the same things.

It won't run anything above Doom3 with any sort of consistency - but it will run a lot of semi-aged games.

5. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

If you are into laptop gaming, the minimum you should invest in should be an ATi Mobility Radeon 9700.

I just upgraded from a 9700 Pro to an X800XL. The 9700 Pro is still a great card...It can run Quake 4 at 800x600 fine.

But for real mileage I would suggest at least a mobile GeForce 6 series or Mobility Radeon X800 series.

6. G Rant

G Rant Chillin'

cool thanks guys.