Alpine's "Imprint" Sound Processing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stylez, Jan 21, 2009.

1. stylez

stylez ***** Awesome Lurker

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this system?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=PXA-H100

This past summer I upgraded my entire car's audio, including Alpine's newer ida-x100 Digital Media Receiver that is Imprint ready. I'm an audiophile and I've never been able to get the "right sound" out of this deck engine that I used to fine tune with my older CDA-9855 Glide Touch HU. The same Parametric and Graphic EQ's are there, but it's just not as well balanced and clean as I wish.

I called a few different tech people for these retailer's and they all say the same thing. "This one guy I know swears by it" blah blah blah, "Everyone that has used it says its the best sound they could have possibly tuned" etc etc etc. But of course they are going to tell me that because they want to sell it.

I've done quite a bit of research on it and it looks like a pretty cool little gadget in all. Uses a mic to calibrate the EQ's, stage, and ms delay times for all speakers to give the music focal point the best sound possible.

I was curious to see if anyone here has played around with this before and could give me their opinion before I go buy this thing for $250, or rent it for the same.

2. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I have only heard good things. Never got to play with it but a few friends have used it.

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I used to have something similar to this on an old deck, wasn't Alpine (I'm drawing a blank) Anyways you strapped a mic to your seat and it would adjust the stage, ms delay times, etc. It definitely made a huge difference however the problem was if I had the mic on my seat, the music sounded like crap for the rest of the passengers.

This was 2-3 years ago though and was included with the deck so it probably wasn't very advanced.

4. Arc

Arc New Member

The Audessey processing in the Imprint kit is quite amazing. I used the KTX unit with my 9887 when I had it. It made vast improvements in my imaging and staging.
    The only issue is when it tunes it kind of eliminates most of the sub, if you have one. The bass to me, was less than desirable.

5. stylez

Thats what I've heard as well. Most people suggested turning your subs off along with any second hand EQ you may have. That way the system doesnt account for the excess bass being produced.

Sounds like it worked well for you though, outside of that issue.

6. stylez

Did you take one reading from the driver seat, or multiple readings from throughout the cabin? On Alpine's site they reccommend doing it 4-6 times thoughout the cabin.

7. JustWitherAway

JustWitherAway OT Supporter

I've got an X100 w/ Imprint, it's worth the improvement in features/tune-ability and it bumps your pre-amp voltage to 4v IIRC.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Nope now that I think of it it was a pioneer deck. If I recall you would grab a reading from one point and thats where the settings got set to. You couldn't take multiple readings and combine them for an overall best stage. After that deck I got my CDA-9835, I don't know if I will ever get rid of this deck.

9. stylez

Ah, I see.

That's a great deck. The only reason I swapped mine out for the X100 was because I wanted to eliminate carrying CD books in my car. So I ripped my entire collection to an 80GB iPod and use the interface cable for it. That way if someone were to break into my car, I possibly lose a $250 iPod, instead of 15+ years of CD's