Alpine vs Panasonic... Or something else perhaps?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Jul 13, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I am getting a new car this weekend, or next week, and I need to install a new cd player since all the car has is the stock AM/FM stereo. Upgrade time :naughty:

I've always been an Alpine fan, but alas, Panasonics lower price for the same features won me over on my last HU purchase. Well this time I am going to get something a little better. My budget is going to be around $300-400ish. So please don't go and recomend everything over and above that without a good reason, I still need to buy speakers and possibly an amp for a pair of subs.

The two models that have me torn between are the
    Panasonic MXE CQ-C8400U
    and
    Alpine CDA-9831

I was just going to go Alpine this route, but then I found the Panasonic and it has the same and better features for less money once again. Should I just go with the Panasonic once again? Or would I be better off in the long run with Alpine?

Or should I go with a cheaper model and spend more on speakers, or should I look at another brand all together? Thanks for the help :bigthumb:

Stealth -

2. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

What kind of features are you talking about? If it's just stuff like raw wattage and number of pre-outs, you don't get any kind of quality guarantee just by looking at the features it offers. I'm an alpine fan because I've always had good results with their stuff and have only heard the best from others.

3. StealthMode

Same here. I want a HU with Sub outs for sure. I want quality most of all. I don't plan on building a "high end" or comp level system here either, I just want something that I can build from decently. Couple 10in Alpine TypeR subs, 1000watt + amp, some good speakers for the rest of the car. I just want something that has good quality, and that will sound good. Clarity over bass. I don't listen to RAP, so I don't need to thump like f00 ;) My music taste is pretty broad though.
    I think I will end up going with Alpine this time, but I want some second opinions first.

Stealth -

4. percent

percent deluded

my vote goes to the alpine for sure. not only is it a better deck, it looks better than the pioneer.

5. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

You cant even compare the 2. Alpine>>>>>>>>>>Panasonic. I have 4 or mor Alpines in the last few years, and I love them all. I still have them too, I just keep pulling them from the old cars and putting them in the new cars.

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

we sell both, and i'd go with the alpine.

7. StealthMode

I'm goin with Alpine this time. I should have last time, oh well. At least with Alpine I know exactly what I am getting ;) The cheap side of me got the better of me last time, hence the reason I have a Panasonic atm. Oh well, it will do for now until I get my Alpine.

Stealth -

8. denim

denim New Member

check out Eclipse before you buy, they are worth the money

9. StealthMode

Sheet, forgot all about them. Eclipse is awsome!!! I'll have to look into their line up again, maybe they have something I want thats in my price range. Awhile back I was planning on doing a midrange all eclipse setup. HU, spkrs, amps and subs. Would cost me about $2500 installed at the local shop, with dynamat extreme throughout the car. Can't afford that now, thats next summers progect though, I just want something that sounds good until then. Good HU, decent speakers, whala, good enough to get me by till then.

Stealth -

10. 04

04 Guest

I would definatly do this.

11. StealthMode

I think I am going to go with the Alpine CDA-9830 instead. It's a little cheaper, and has everything I need and more. It should be a decent midrange system I would think. Pair it with some Infinity either Reference or Kappa 6.5in in the doors, and the 6x9 models in the rear, and eventually 1200watt amp (not sure on the brand yet, maybe JBL or Alpine) and 2 10in Alpine SWR subs.

Stealth -

P.S. Any amp recomendations for the subs?

12. Mack_Daddy

Mack_Daddy We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigar

Ive had both panasonic and alpine running in my car and even with low end speakers the alpine deck cleans up the sound phenominaly, so good in fact that i won 1st place at the last sound quality comp that i entered. The best part about most alpine decks is that they do time alignment, and if you dont know what that is then read up on it, you'll be impressed.

13. bow2ak

bow2ak New Member

Alpine, no doubt...the quality is better than panasonic or pioneer

14. StealthMode

Well, I should be ordering my new Alpine in a couple weeks. :) Probably going to order the front 6.5in Kappa's as well for the front doors.

15. denim

denim New Member

I do not agree, I have had many from both companies and I would run Pioneer before Alpine, but I would run Eclipse before anything menitoned in this thread
    Hellbilly-why do you bold everything???

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2004
  16. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the shop i work for has sold equits in the past, and still sells both alpine and pioneer... and all i have to say is, /////ALPINE>pioneer.