Alpine vs Eclipse HU

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neo22, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I'm debating between the Alpine 9833 and the Eclipse 5444 head units. Looking for people that have had either unit and can give me some feedback. I'm leaning more towards the Alpine because the face is detachable and I don't want to have to pay for broken windows with the Eclipse(yes I know they are warranteed under theft).

thanks

2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I have the Alpine, great HU. Very customizable, but you probably already knew that. I got mine off eBay for pretty cheap, brand new. But I forget how much I paid for it atm... I believe it was at least $100 cheaper than retail.

3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

Cd5444 >

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

/////ALPINE>all!!!

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

if only one has a feature you absolutely need, then buy that one. if not, play with both of them in store and pick the one you like best

6. -rod-

-rod- New Member

Good advice.
    Also, I have an Alpine cda-9807 and my friend has the approximate equivalent Eclipse. He says hed rather have mine. :bigthumb:

7. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I do like the new system in the Alpine for adjusting highs and mids. But I don't like the fact it takes a hundred pushes of a button to get to that menu. I like the Eclipse more for simplicity. I'm not worried about looks, I'm worried about sound. Maybe it was just the way the soundboard was, but the eclipse sounded better. I would jump on the eclipse now if it was detachable so I'm thinking my only choice is the alpine.:hs:

8. deltarider99

deltarider99 New Member

Eclipses are better renowned for having higher quality sound. Alpine used to own this distinction years ago, but have been moving towards HU's with tons of features and functionality.

If it's sound you're looking for, Eclipse is tops.

9. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I was originally going to put together an all Eclipse system at some point, but the cash wasn't there, and I ended up going with my current setup, which works very well for me, in fact it's almost overkill.
    Alpine CDA-9833, Phoenix Gold ZR6.5 Comps, JBL GTO 75.4 (104watts [email protected])
    I'd still go for an all Eclipse system if I could afford it :x: :cool:

10. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

after owning alpine, pioneer, kenwood, eclipse etc etc i am now a dealer for Eclipse and kenwood ( only for their video )

I install eclipse cd players only when it comes to video just depends on the install and customers needs

I think Eclipse makes the best head units as far as range and features go out there..

Just my opinion :o

11. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

What do you do about theft? Do you do any installs? I was thinking if I did get an Eclipse Hu that I would have to make something to cover it everytime I would leave my truck.

12. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

both great receivers, i have used plenty of alpine and eclipse myself, and now use an 8053. i say go to the store, good guys would be good, and play around with both and see which one u like better. u cant go wrong with either.

13. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

peoples head units get stolen every day with the face removed.. At least with eclipse unlike anyone else you get a new one with in a year if its stolen and it has a 3 year warranty unlike the alpines 1 yr...

14. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

Isn't it more likely to get stolen with a faceplate still intact? I see your logic and am trying to justify buying the eclipse as its what I really want. I know eclipse buys you a new one after you file a police report. I'm also aware that the chances are less likely of something being stolen with the faceplate not intact.

15. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

People will steal HU's regardless if the faceplate is there or not. A simple phone call to Alpine will get you another faceplate. That being said, I will recommend the Eclipse. They make great HU's. I've been running the CD8454 and not once have I doubted my purchase.

16. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Replacement faceplates are not free last time I checked, so I too would have to agree that thieves would much rather grab a headunit with the face still attached.

17. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

You're assuming that:
    1. Thieves know that.
    2. They'll actually do it.

Most people that steal stereos aren't looking to install it in their car or wait a while (and possibly shell out cash) for a faceplate to come in. They're looking for a cheap buck, which is a lot easier if the unit's intact.

18. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Actually it takes a simple call to Pacific Coast Parts and about $250.

There is more to Eclipse ESN than meets the eye. The problem is most owners probably don't enable it properly.