Alpine Type-R vs. Kicker Solo vs. JL Audio Subs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, Apr 28, 2004.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

Which subs will give me the best SPL/SQ ?

- Alpine Type-R
    - JL 10W3v2
    - Kicker Solobaric L7
    - Kicker Comp VR

i havent decided on two 10s or two 12s

but these are the subs that i am looking at..

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

L7's easily for SPL.

Type-R for SQ.

JL not worth buying for the price, and compVR not really worth it

3. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

what about 10s vs 12s?

i have heard 10s will give me a tighter bass sound..

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i like the alpine type-s's over the type-r's, and the kicker compvr's from a few years back personally.

5. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

any particular reason?

6. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

also, this is what one of my friends told me.. who is into car audio about the three possible set-ups i want..

is he correct on all points ?

7. twistid

about the alpine part??? i work for a shop who has sold alpine(and kicker in their first decade of existance) for 21 years... simply it's just the value.

about the kicker part??? as brands start getting competitive in their old age after they become a big brand, they start cutting corners. now kicker has never made a single product, they used to have their subs made by credence(also produce(d) jl audio subs) until a few years(a year after the L7 was born) back when they moved production oversea(china).

8. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

so out of these three options..

would you suggest i go the alpine route?

9. twistid

truthfully i suggest you go to a shop, and listen for yourself... choose which sub you like(fits your wants, and needs.), since you'll be the one buying it... just personally after installing many, i'd go with the alpines.

10. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

well i am leaning towards the alpines anyways

because of the price and also of the good things i have heard about it

but you said you would go with the Type-S over the Type-R

is there a reason for this?

11. 04

04 Guest

No, he's wrong on most of them :sad2:

First, the Solobarics can be made to sound good. BUT you need a huge sealed enclosure to do so in most cases.

Second, underpowering a speaker does not destroy it, overpowering it does. And underpowering wont make a speaker sound bad either, assuming you arent overdriving the amplifier to a large degree.

And unless your friend is talking about maybe the SoloX, the Kicker subwoofers ARE made for listening to music. And they don't require more power than similar speakers either.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2004
  12. 04

04 Guest

Not necessarily. You can get an 18" woofer to sound as "tight" as a 8" woofer in the right enclosure (and assuming the speakers arent trash)

13. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

i sent you a PM since you seem to be a car audio GOD

14. twistid

the type-s' are 1/2" more shallow, cost less, perform well, and we've only RAed 1 type-s(type-r's we've RAed 3).

15. On_One

On_One Guest

I know i'm going to sound like a broken record here but it would be a much better option to go with a single 15" Ported as opposed to 2- 10" or. A single 15" Driver has close to same amount of cone area as 2 12's and more cone area than 2 10's. For a fraction of the cost you will acheive more output and better sound quality (if done right). Also since less power will be required for a single 15" nstall you will be putting less of a strain on your electrical system and save money by not having to by a more powerful amplifier.

As far as a nice blend of SQ goes i will say this for the hundreth time. The Phoenix Gold TI-15 will absolutley rape the JL and Kickers in both aspects. Sound Quality will be close with Type-R but from my experience the TI edges it out. As for output the the TI wins flat out.

Right now you can get the 15" version for $99 here http://www.cbrstereo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=501. If you are oposed to going witha 15 you can pick up 2 10" version off ebay for around 140 shipped. The 12's are pretty hard to find a go for aroud 130 a piece. Flat out these subs are the best buy right now. They originally retaile for 350 plus and are being liquidated to make room for Phoenix Golds new line of subs.

I'm only trying to help here. It's all your choice but i do think you will be making a costly mistake if you choose any of the above subs over the PG Titaniums.

I know it's a bit of a drive but if you want you can drive down here and i can demo the 12" version for you.

16. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

where are you located at? do you work at an audio shop?

also, so your saying that with 1 15" PG i will get more SPL and a better SQ then two 12" JLs or Alpines?

17. On_One

On_One Guest

I live in San Mateo and work in the city.

No i don't work in audio shop. Car audio is justa hobby for me. My actuall career is the pro-sound/construction. I'm an audiovisual consultant spend my day designing and reccomending system for clients. Most of are work involves design AV systems for boardrooms, theaters, schools, and high end residences.

As for the topic at hand....

If the 15" is ported and 12's are sealed the 15" will have the edge in SPL.

If both are ported output will be close depending on the power applied and tunning frequency.

As for both beign sealed if my calcs are correct then the 15" will move more air. While 2 12's have more cone area than a single 15 (aprox. 930cm^2 vs. 790cm^2) the TI's offer about 5mm more of linear excursion than both the alpine and JL(13mm vs. 18mm). So in theory the 15 can move more air. THis is all dependent on box size and power though.

The PG wins in the SQ department IMHO. I have my 12 ported tuned to 25hz and sounds fantastic. Much better sound quality than my old 2-12" Sealed W3 install. I've only heard a few TYPE-R installs and while they do sound very nice output left something to besired for me.

18. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

so one PG 15" would be sufficient for what i want ?

what about two 15s.. would i need two amps for that ?

19. 04

04 Guest

No, you could run both 15" woofers off one amplifier if you want.

I thought you said 2 15" woofers wouldnt fit in the space you had, and that you wanted 2 woofers, one for each side of the trunk area?

20. denim

denim New Member

in the right install the L7s will rule all in this topic, and they are cheap right now, so thats your best decision IMO, I have seen to many installs not think other wise in this choice

21. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

that is true.. but the person building the box, said he could angle the subs so that they fit..

also because i can't find two pg ti12s that are cheap.. the 15s are cheaper then teh 12s

22. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

but i have heard that the l7s sound loud.. but they are sloppy and dont sound good sometimes

23. On_One

On_One Guest

The L7 would need a huge enclosure to hang any of the above mentioned subs (minus the comp vr) in the sound quality category. While the don't sound horrible they are not an SQ sub by any stretch. If space and sound quality are issues then the L7 isn't the best decision.

24. On_One

On_One Guest

What price could you get the subs you listed for ? What in order is most important to you
    • space
    • price
    • sound quality
    • spl

25. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

Alpine Type-R 12" : $130 (free shipping)
    Alpine Type-R 10" : $125 ( free shipping)
    JL Audio 12W3v2 : $150 (free shippinh)
    Jl Audio 10W3v2 : $140 (free shipping)
    Infinity Perfect 10.1d : $99.95 (shipping not included)
    Phoenix Gold Ti15 : $99 (shipping not included)

i can probably find better prices for these maybe, but this is around the average..

and in order of importance

1.) Sound Quality
    2.) Price
    3.) SPL
    4.) Space