Alpine speakers for my truck, which models should I get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by blackrat, Jun 28, 2008.

1. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

I have a Dakota with a mid level Alpine deck in it, 18 RMS I believe.

The stock speakers break up pretty early in the volume range, so I'm looking to upgrade. I went to Best Buy and listened to their R series and S series speakers. The S series was $50 less, and was only 2 way, but sounded much better dealing with the highs and mids. Their R series, a 3 way, sounded good with the mids and lows. Not what I was expecting.

Anyway, since they are mixed, should I go ahead and pick them up, mount the S up front and the R in the rear? Should I just get the R series on all four corners? Despite the fact that the S series sounded better, I can't help but thinking maybe the R's on display had some issues with them. I might be putting an amp on them later, but I doubt it.

2. Original

Original OT Supporter

if you get the r's they won't sound REALLY good until you amp them.. a deck won't deliver enough power to them IMO.

also, you don't neccessarily need aftermarket speakers in the rear. They only really act as a "fill" for your ears, you want the good speakers up front. You can't go wrong filling all 4 corners with quality speakers though :coold:

Anyways, even if one set is $400 more than another.. get the ones that sound good to you.

3. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

Good call on the amp needed, they did sound good when I put the had one of the amps powering them. I thought only component speakers necessitated an amp to sound decent. These R series were classified as only "car speakers" so I thought they were made to maximize low output deck power. Plus, the stockers break up pretty early in the volume range.

I hear you on the rear speaker comment, and I didn't upgrade them in my car when I did that set-up. However, the layout of my truck (97 extended cab Dakota) means that the rear speakers are only a few inches away from me. Unlike a car where they are far away, they do seem to make a difference.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  4. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

Ah, looked them up on Crutchfield. Their description of the R model that I'm looking at (SPR-17C) lists one of the pluses as "significant bass". I was wrong too, they are only 2 way, just like the S series. I'm going to go ahead and get one of each pair and mount them up S's in the front and R's in the rear.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

you'll want the better speakers up front.

6. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

S's are the better speakers for SQ.

Type R's are boarder-line terrible in some instances. Alpine did a great job matching the mid and tweet with the simple crossover design on the S's. You wont know where the mid stops and the tweet picks up.

Type R co-ax's are just like Type R subs. A lot of loud with out much good.

:hs:

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i have not ran into that problem at work, and i install a lot of Alpine(Alpine and RF are our direct brands, and have been since they started up.)... this year's S's are same speaker as last year's R's, but with the same cone material of the last year S's and better looking grill.

i have a couple year old S comps in my car currently, and it's about time to trade them out... a seismic company buys S coax's from us, to build testers to sell.

if you can't make a type-R sound good, you shouldn't be intalling.