alpine 9813 vs 9815

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Azn Bed Rocka, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Azn Bed Rocka

Azn Bed Rocka made from SCRATCH

can anyone tell me why the 9815 is more expensive cause i dont see much difference, well i dont know much about car audio anyways.....fill me in thanks guys..im going to buy one of these this week so i need to know soon

2. 04

04 Guest

I looked one the website and they looked like they had the exact same features except the 9813 used a 18bit dac while the 9815 used a 1bit dac. That wont change the sound any though.

The only real difference I could notice is that the 9815 looks different and is a newer model.

I would suggest getting the 9813 unless you simply love the way the 9815 looks.

Also, keep in mind that one of Alpine's 200-250 dollar mp3 decks would probably have all the features you need it to, ESPECIALLY since you don't know too much about car audio. Setting up all the time correction, EQ's and xovers on the expensive units is going to be quite a task for a newbie.

Just my 2 cents.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Let me highly reccommend the cda 9807, it is nice looking, easy to use, doesn't have a lot of uneccessary features, and sounds great. Not to mention that it costs less than the others that you mentioned.

4. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

the only real difference is in the two are as follows: on the 9815 the display is larger and the buttons are backlit in blue. the only other thing i think may be different is the extensiveness of the time correction staging built in to the headunit.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

nope, they both have bass engine pro.

6. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

not only a larger display, but a nicer display, and on the 9815, you have the i-personalize thing.

7. GSteg

GSteg Member

i bought my deck for the following reasons

1. looks
    2. affordability
    3. features (such as detachable face, preouts, etc)

anything else such as DAC's i ignore. doesn't make any difference at all. the headunit isn't the most important component in the car. its the speakers that are the most important.

IBwar

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Your right, a nice pair of $700 speakers would sound great running off of a jensen tape deck wouldn't they. The headunit is a VERY important component in the car, and it can make a big difference in sound.

9. GSteg

GSteg Member

tapes aren't known for their clarity and overtime the tape will just start messing up.

but i'm talking about cd players. if you're going to spend $700 on speakers, why even run it off the headunit? doesn't make sense at all unless u are broke after u bought the speakers.

the headunit is not the most important equipment. speakers are. speakers will put out over 10% THD while amps, headunits, etc will put out less than 2%. and even with test tones, its going to be hard to distinguish distortion.

sound quality does not change with a new headunit. the headunit's EQ may make it sound different to your taste, but thats subjective. SQ is objective. there is a difference between sounding good and sound quality.

look at all the SQ comps out there. i am willing to bet over 90% of the competitors use outboard processors such as and EQ, active crossover, etc. most will put the headunit to "flat" and then adjust the sound using the EQ.

dual 1-bit DAC, 24-bit DAC, 18-bit DAC, it doesn't matter. you're not going to hear the difference between DAC's.

10. 04

04 Guest

GSteg is 100% correct. You have to be using a pretty shitty cd player in order for it to sound any different with the settings flat.

I should hope those spending 800+ on cd players are doing so for its features and looks, not because the sound quality will blow a 200 dollar deck out of the water.

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I don't really care what any of you say, my new alpine cd player sounds better than my old clarion cd player.

12. GSteg

GSteg Member

its purely subjective. alpine has more features than clarion, thus can be alternate the sound to your personal preference. no one is saying the deck sounds exactly the same. but as far as sonic characteristics, virtually the same. :)

13. 04

04 Guest

How do you know for sure? Could it be possible that the Alpine has equilization built in, or some other feature that changes the sound? ;)

FWIW, do you remember my mp3 tests? People claimed that it was easy to tell a difference between the files... Until I gave them the results. Some people actually got mad at me and told me I was tricking them, or that I mislabled the files.

The only difference there is that I was able to setup a test where user bias was not present. They did not know which file was which and consequently couldnt make up a story that they did. However, a test such as that is much harder to setup test between headunits, or amplifiers, when there are variables to consider such as volume matching, equilization disable, etc. But it is possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2003
  14. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

all units are equal at a flat response, is not a valid statement to the average person... it's the gadgets people want, that's why stockers get replaced. besides he's not talking about at flat response, he's talking about the unit itself as a whole... gadgets and all. i don't know of anyone in this world that would buy a headunit that is as well rounded as the aftermarket units today, and not use all the cool factor features... it's pointless to buy such a unit, if you would be happy with a stocker. most people want all in one units for space saving, with simple yet noticable qualities.

15. 04

04 Guest

I absolutely realize this, but remember, Azn Bed Rocka is new to car audio. I doubt he knows what most any of the features such as time alignment, parametric equilization, or even what a crossover is. He might very well take the initiative to learn how to set up everything properly, I don't know. However, it has been my experience that the only people who the expensive deck's suit is those that are quite experienced with car audio and know how to properly set the unit up. :)

16. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

The only difference is the display and the 9815 has the i-personalize option.
    That and the price.