Alpine 3218 Passive EQ - $6.99

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lomotil, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Lomotil

Lomotil Guest

I have come before the car audio masters with a question...

First of all, I found an EQ at a Goodwill store the other day...

Alpine 3218 Passive EQ
    Powered EQ with audio out (passive)

...with a $6.99 price written on it. I knew it was worth a bit more than that, so I bought it. In my relative ignorance of higher-end car stereo, I damn near passed out when I found one of these for sale online (used) for $150. It's a 9-band EQ/amp, and it puts out 40W x 2.

Two questions.

• How much was this when it was new?
    • What's the best use I can get out of it?

I'll be working with a late-model Isuzu Rodeo, and I've also got some leftover stereo equipment from my last truck, and other stuff I've bought along the way:

• Sony 35x4 CD deck (Soon to be replaced with probably a Blaupunkt 55x4)
    • 2 Clarion 5x7 3-way (Won't fit in the Rodeo unless I get creative)
    • various tweeters
    • 2 Kicker competition 8" subs, in sealed "Ranger" enclosures
    • Kenwood 240W mono amp (used for above subs previously)
    • 2 MTX "Blue Thunder" 10" subs
    • 2 Sony 6x9's (probably not going to be used)

I'd like to use as much of my old equipment as I can, but I know I'm going to have to buy some 5.5" midranges for the doors, and I need to find a better solution than the factory 4" rear speakers (possibly 6x9's - better ones than the Sony's I've got)

So, basically, what should I do with this EQ?

Thanks!

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

15 here

put it beween your deck and high speakers unless its possible to hook it to all of your system if you cant figgure it out sell it

3. Lomotil

Lomotil Guest

To the 'bidders' - ;) Do I hear $16? :big grin:

Well, I checked it out further, and it's got not only outputs for front and rear L/R speakers, but it's also got two line outs for front and rear. Also has two different inputs (one for stereos without a pre-out).

I'm thinking that I can use my deck's power to run the tweeters I plan on using in the front (along with a pair for the rear seats, ideally), then run the line out to the EQ, and have it power the front and back mid-ranges. Then run the 'rear' line-out from the EQ to the Kenwood 240W and power a set of subs in the back...

That sound good, anyone? It still leaves me with another connection, the 'front' line out from the EQ - any ideas on what to use that for, or should I just leave it be?

4. Lomotil

Lomotil Guest

Hmmm... *or* - should I put a Y-cable at the rear of the deck and run that line out to the subwoofer's amp? It's got it's own built-in ?crossover? (pardon my lack of technical term knowledge) - basically, it filters the sound and removes the highs and mids, only lets the bass reach the subs.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

6. Mirwolf

Mirwolf Im confused and so am I

$18.00 + Cookie :)

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

18.01+cookie+sex

8. Lomotil

Lomotil Guest

OK, the sex bit sounds good, but before I close the deal I have to ask... M/F?

Call me a stickler for details, but this seems like a rather important one... ;)

Also, why doesn't this sound good to some of y'all to power my midranges? I was thinking, it's got two sets of 40W outputs, and two line-out's..... if I were to use the deck for tweeters, this should power any existing speakers, right? (existing = either factory speakers, or replacments)