Alphabetical sorting Code for article entries

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Barky, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Barky

Barky woof

My girlfriend is doing a systematic review of scholary articles for her professor. This is unpaid work that gives rewards in connections. She has to go through a small amount (about 100) of articles and place them in alphabetical order and find duplicates amoung them. The problem is that the format needs to stay the same, for example:

last, first
    scholary article blah blah blah
    copyright blah blah blah
    I r smart

so the arrangement would be by last name but keeping that format (in the output file) when alphabetized (basically the other three lines are ignored). I was hoping maybe there was some code out there for doing this, but some ideas for custom code would help too. I'm only slightly versed in java, and would have trouble figuring this out on my own. Any help would be appreciated

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

are these article electronic? if so, what format are they in? do they have filenames?

are you asking if one can take all the articles and output them into one big file sorted by the author's last name?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it's a known format then it should be easy to skip x lines, read, skip x lines, read, etc.

4. Barky

Barky woof

yeah, it's just a .doc file (can copy and paste into .txt if neccesary). The problem is putting those alphabetical entries in order with the other lines "attached" to that author name. Am I being clear at all here? I was hoping there was some kind of sorting code I could already use or suggest some tips to program one custom.

edit:

example input:

zoot, suit
    woot
    woot
    woot

off, topic
    wat
    wat
    wat

omg, zor
    :ugh:

output:

off, topic
    wat
    wat
    wat

omg, zor

zoot, suit
    woot
    woot
    woot

where the random words are other entries (the title of the article, copyright info, etc)