SRS Almost out of money...:(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MikeTheVike1, Feb 15, 2006.

1. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

This is the first time in a long time that I'm scared of running out of money. In previous years I had a lot of money saved and didn't have to worry. But I just graduated from college in December, and the school loan payments already kicked in, and my hefty lump of saved money is almost gone. I've been working at my internship for $8 an hour, and that ended last week. I have a job interview on Friday, and another freelance opportunity as well, but if for some reason I don't get these I am royally fucked. I've been spending a lot on gas, the g/f, food, bills, etc. I really have to get this job:x: :hsd:

2. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

cutback on spending until you know what's going on.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Stop spending on your g/f, limit your food in take, and take care of bills.

It should save you some money.

4. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

:werd:

5. Stemby

Stemby Whoooose House? COOOOOOOOOOOOGS HOUSE!

yea i'm in the same boat. I started eating leftovers and my money extend for almost double what it would of lasted

6. Create

Create :free at last:

Many people I knew went home to their parents after college until they found a good job. I don't see any disgrace in it as long as you're actively trying to move on. I'd assume the gf situation prevents this, though.

EDIT: I'm not going to suggest socially irresponsible actions.

7. teo

teo . => ? => !

Start budgeting. Save your receipts and find out where your money is going. Stop eating out and start making your meals at home. Find forms of entertainment that are either free or very cheap. Cut down on unneccessary bills - I choose not to maintain a car (I can do it because I live close to the commuter train and to the downtown core) and I don't watch TV so I don't have cable. You'll have to find what works for you. Don't spend money if you don't have to.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  8. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I'm actually living with my grandparents, but I still pay for my own food, bills, and I pay the electric bill every month for "rent" Feel like I'm paying to live on my own, without the privacy. Once I get a full time job, I'm moving out!

I actually eat rather cheaply, mac and cheese, tuna, bulk chicken breasts, etc.

And I told my g/f that I'm almost out of money, so hopefully she'll understand.

9. johan

johan Active Member

"hopefully she'll understand"?? this is a good opportunity to see whether or not this gf is worth having in your life.

If she doesn't "understand" and demands you keep her in the style she wants, consider that she's telling you it ain't gonna get any better than this.

I would reconsider whether such a person adds to, or detracts from the quality and substance of your life. And then make your choices accordingly.

10. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Indeed.

You can do it, and you won't run out. As long as you are super careful. Don't spend on anything uneccesary, cutback as much as possible, pick up pennies on the ground, etc. Basically do common sense things to save money ;)

11. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Check if you can file for unemployment. It will give you a cushion for a few months. Don't be one of those dumb asses that sits on that unemployment paycheck till they dry up...you only get so much assigned to you for your lifetime. You may need it sometime in the future when things are really fucked and there's no family members to lean on.

In the meantime, continue being lean on your expenses. Trim to the bare essentials for a while. Most of us have been there.

If it gets desparate....get a fast food job. It pays the bills, builds character, and you get all the free chicken mcnuggets you can eat.

12. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

if she's a keeper then either A) she will help with the bills or B) understand if she doesnt means all she is gonna be is a drain on your pocketbook, and you need to ditch her

13. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

You sound like me, live paycheque to paycheque right now. Still in school though. Not fun but I don't eat in restaurants, ride my bike instead of paying for transit, stock up the cupboard when stuff is on sale etc.

Every month is a unique journey but such is life.

FYI my partner split when my $$ started running low - he was stressed and bummed out cause I couldn't afford to go out to the bars, movies, dinner etc. While he never lived with me, he ate my food and was insulted when I asked him to chip in on groceries... absolutely spoke volumes about him.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, if you have to, use a food bank. While I am lucky to not have had to go there, I have friends who have gone... no shame at all. That is why they are there, to assist those who are having difficulties in feeding themselves.

14. lilmonkee

lilmonkee Resident Pharm.D. :)

Excellent post. I volunteered at a food bank before and was actually surprised we stuffed boxes with a lot of brand name foods/sodas, ect. Many companies (sams, grocery stores) contribute to the food bank. If you must, utilize this until you can afford not to.

15. elekt

elekt New Member

tell the g/f you cant spend money on her anymore. Sell useless shit you have that you dont ever use. And apply at as many places as possible. stay positive

16. mrfli1

mrfli1 New Member

can u work 2 jobs?

17. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Have children and sell them for money.