Almost every day I find myself wanting European cars for the rest of my life.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dr. Woo, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

I had all but decided that I wanted to get a new Subaru Legacy when I come home to America, but after actually sitting in one and checking it out...I must say that getting back into my Audi was almost a relief. Many car rags have praised its interior for its solidity and quality, comparing it to a Passat. I couldn't come to this conclusion.

I recently sat and rode in a new Pontiac GTO. This car is being hailed as the "big thing" at GM. It "oozes quality" and has a "top-notch" interior. This is not so. Plastics abound...the headliner feels like fuzzy carpet glued onto cardboard. The dash has a hollow sound when you knock your fingertips on it. Sure, there were no squeaks and rattles, but the car is brand-new. Granted it is leaps and bounds ahead of typical GM quality, but judging from many Australian OTers' diagnoses of the Holden Monaro, it's only a matter of time before they start falling apart.

The thing is...I don't WANT to own a European car in America. I know the costs and find them outrageous...but I'm starting to realize that it really is worth it.

2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

welcome to the dark side

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

:werd: If I ever have to own anything non-euro again I think I would become depressed and start popping Paxil like candy just to keep the tears at bay.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  4. Dr. Woo

I have already taken a liking to it...I think I shall immerse myself in it.

Thank you for the welcome.

5. Dr. Woo

NEVARRRRR! :wiggle:

6. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

The only American cars I'd buy are a 60/70's muscle car (70 Hemi 'Cuda my fav) or a truck. I'm currently using my brother-in-law's Ram to help me move and he has my A6. Needless to say, I don't see myself owning a truck after driving those 2 back to back. :ugh:

7. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

Welcome to the club.

:wavey:

8. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

I was in an A6 the other day and I literally wanted to try and mate with the interior.

Then I went back to the Corolla.

Ugh, I wanted to die.

9. Dr. Woo

My Audi is why I have such a high standard now.

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Audi interiors have always been nice, though I noticed in the last one I rode in (S4) that a lot of the gaps were not even, and that the interior had a unattractive sheen.

The only European cars I can justify the expenses for are the 330i ZHP, E39 540i, E39 M5, or 2001 740i sport. I would own any one of those three in a heart beat, even if they cost an arm and leg.

[​IMG]

:love:

11. monaroCountry

monaroCountry New Member

sure about that?.......many australians are ford fans and bag anything holden.

As for falling apart, read below.
    Holden and australian cars has always been known for their reliability. Australians tend to hold on to their cars far longer than Americans, Japanese and many european countries.

12. Dr. Woo

Well, EVERYONE holds onto their cars longer than the Japanese.

And I've heard from more than one Australian OTer about the reliability of the Monaro. They say that Holdens aren't exactly the most reliable Australian marque.

13. Dr. Woo

I prefer the interior of my B5 over the B6 A4, but the B6 still has a far better interior than almost any other car I've sat in.

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I was in Europe for the first two weeks of July (Vienna, Budapest and Prague specifically). The cars were incredible, one of the many things that made me want to live there someday.

15. monaroCountry

monaroCountry New Member

Actually Dr's right the monaro/gto's dash does sound pretty hollow. However it sounded better than mitsubishi and toyotas.

Although holdens are reliable and easy/cheap to repair, many businesses (small medium and large) and gov agencies (police, fire, ambulance etc) prefer to have new models and dont tend to hang on to older commies. One of the reason for holdens popularity as a fleet vehicle have been its price and reliability (taxis easily reach and pass 1 million Ks). Furthermore, VY models has a far higher quality levels compared with VT models.

16. ihrs

ihrs OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted (Nokia6200/1.0 (3.10) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0 UP.Link/1.1)

I came s-10 to audi a4 to jeep and soon hopefully ill be jeep and audi crew