almost bought a 8424, tons of detailing ?s, got some stuff

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 98seville, Oct 12, 2007.

1. 98seville

98seville Guest

but backed out ASAP i started looking deeper into stuff like the cutting pads.

I mean, what would you guys recommend for a person whos never touched a buffer before. I want to get rid of swirl marks, deep scratches, and light, and some oxidation on my mothers car.

I really am starting to like the whole detailing thing until i ordered some 845, AIO, and some duragloss carwash stuff, and frogot a decent mitt that wont marr, and a applicator?

Also, the WWs at walmart, where can i find them in walmart?

2. Untow Bo

Untow Bo New Member

A basic starter kit would be something like this:

*PC 7424 or equivalent (7335, 7336, etc)
    *Velcro backing plate, if it doesn't come with one
    *2-3 "polishing" pads, no larger than 6.5". I've had very good luck with the Meguiars yellow 6.5" pad over the years and recommend it for most polishing needs.
    *1-2 "finishing" pads, no larger than 6.5". The Meguiars white pad is a good choice for light polishing and applying AIO/one step wax products.
    *Heavy duty extension cord, pref 10-12G and 75-100 ft in length. This may cost you $50 or so but will be worth every penny when you really need it. Besides Home Depot and Lowe's, check out Northern Tool if you have one locally.

As for polishes, you can really lose your mind trying to find the perfect one. The truth is, you'll need several polishes to tackle a variety of jobs. A good one found in stores is Mothers Power Polish. It works very well with a PC and is priced at about $12.00. Meguiars ScratchX is now usuable with a PC and a tube costs about $10.00. 3M swirl mark remover (or the Meguiars equivalent) is widely available and is a good light polish. If you want to buy off the web, the whole world is for sale. But I recommend you keep it simple for starters, get the hang of the machine, what it can and cannot do, then add polishes and different pads as your skill improves.

*Wash mitts - I like cotton chenille and lambswool. Most parts stores carry a decent selection of each. Buy at least two for starters and maybe a 3rd if you want one strictly for wheels, tires, etc.

*Applicators - Most of us like microfiber apps and you can find them everywhere. Buy several, stock up on them, and use separate ones for different jobs. If one gets greasy or really nasty, just chuck it.

*WW at Walmart - Probably in the bath/kitchen towel section, but I never found them to be nice. The MF's sold in the auto parts section are decent for starters. I have their large MF drying towel and it works pretty good.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I agree, a PC (you will need to purchase a backing plate) or a UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine-comes with a backing plate) will work fine and the learning curve is very gentle.

I don't know what WWs that Wal-Mart sells but they should be in the car care section. The orange Vroom towels at Target (16 x 16 size) are great towels-as good as any I have used.

4. Untow Bo

Untow Bo New Member

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

the WW at wal-mart are in the housewares section. they are plain white and work really well.