A&P All's Fair in....well, at the Fair. o_O

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by yexy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. yexy

yexy New Member

A few snaps from the fair...we were there for 12 hours. :rofl: What do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

Let me slit my wrists while these load

:ugh:

3. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

Now that they finally loaded, why post snap shots?

4. yexy

yexy New Member

*sigh*

Honestly, 'cause it's the only kind of photography I've got. I don't even own a tripod.

EDIT: And Goddamit, I like it that way! I will never, ever use fancy lighting stuff, and I'll probably never be famous, but that's fine by me. You know what the cool thing about my pictures is? I ENJOY taking them. And some other people out there enjoy seeing them. Some of you will, some of you won't. That's ok. My type of photography is capturing the life around me--posing is bullshit, I've decided, and most of the time life doesn't stand still long enough for me to put up a tripod, anyway. And as for super photoshop skills, I don't have them. There's a whole lot of my pictures that aren't that great, but someone, somewhere, likes them, so I'm going to keep posting them and snapping away with my little digital Canon SLR. And I'm gonna have fun doing it.

Perhaps I don't fit in here, and I know for a fact that none of you respect me as a photographer, and that's fine, since I don't know anything. But my "snaps" are a form of photography just as much as your posed and lit stuff. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

So...enjoy. Or don't. God forbid something of mine one day makes you crack a smile.

/rant

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  5. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Looks fun :)

6. kristin

kristin my dog > *

Photography is a whole hell of a lot more than tripods and lights and what kind of camera you have...

7. yexy

yexy New Member

*nods* I do wish I had had a tripod for that one. I couldn't hold still enough. :wtc:

Maybe I'll get one for my birthday tomorrow! *dances*

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

LOL! "Fuck you and your well composed portraits and fuck you for your carefully illuminated shots!"

9. yexy

yexy New Member

No, I'm not saying fuck you. I'm saying that's not the ONLY type of photography that counts for something. And I'm all for well composed stuff. Don't put words in my mouth.

Also, if I don't magically get a tripod for my birthday tomorrow, I'm going to look into buying one soon. I don't -like- blur and such, it's just that as of the moment I don't have any other way, and once I -do- have a tripod, there's a good chance that I'll still do free hand shots more than posed ones.

10. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

shooting in auto, eh? ah well... looks like you had some decent subject matter, just get the hang of your equipment and you could have some interesting shots

11. yexy

yexy New Member

Thanks. =) I still have no idea what my camera can do...I've yet to read the whole manual, which is about an inch thick. :ugh:

12. fatass

fatass New Member

it's a nice first try

13. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

read my sticky "photography 101" then read your manual.

14. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Well now that's a silly attitude. There are PLENTY of AMAZING photographers who do a street style - natural light, handheld. But they are well composed, unique, interesting shots that show a slice of life with a particular perspective.

Note that when you post pictures in OT A&P they get CRITIQUED. If you want to show some random snapshots and not get a critique don't post them in here. There seems to be a misconception that if take a picture on a dSLR you should post them in here.

And there is a reason your camera manual is an inch thick ...

15. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

On one hand, some ppl here are very harsh and love critique-ing everything...on the other hand, you asked "what do you think?" so you gave them the right to do so.

16. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

The cotton candy machine is kinda neat. I was thinking of doing something similar when the CNE comes here to Toronto next week.

17. itchypony

itchypony New Member

In philosophy, an objective fact means a truth that remains true everywhere, independently of human thought or feelings. For instance, it is true always and everywhere that '2 plus 2 equals 4'. A subjective fact is a truth that is only true in certain times, places or people. For instance, 'That painting is good' may be true for someone who likes it, but it is not necessarily true that it is a good painting pure and simple, and remains so always no matter what people think of it. If the painting could claim this, someone who thought the painting was bad would be completely wrong, in the same way someone who says the sun goes around the earth is wrong. So the reliability of mathematics is an objective truth, whereas the beauty of paintings is probably a subjective one.

Any type of creativity is, by nature, subjective. If I take a picture with any camera on any setting using any light source or any filter, then hack it up in Photoshop or Lightroom until it satisfies me, then so be it. I'm not whoring it out to a magazine for profit (although that would be nice), but if it makes my mom smile -- :cool:

Constructive criticism goes a lot further than rude comments from elitist bastards. :rolleyes:

18. yexy

yexy New Member

Thank you, everyone, for the comments. I was pretty upset yesterday when I wrote what I did, but I got some good advice out of this thread and I'm going to put it to use. I didn't magically get a tripod yesterday, but I -did- get eighty bucks, so I'm going to spend a good portion of it on one. =P And camera manual, here I come!

19. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I like the cotton candy pic. maybe it is cause I love cotton candy, not sure. I would have cropped out the oven and wispy stuff in the air though.

I do not like pic 2, but not anything of your doing, I just think that they need to practivce their stuff more and become better synchronized

number 3 is alright, but an external flash might have really helped to open up them shadowy dark areas that does not allow us to see what is going on very well.

number 4 - I am always amazed by old carousels, with the way they are made and so on. But it sems your camera metered for exposure on the background lights and so the horses are quite dark. This is where your manual would com in nicely to learn about metering for the horses and the lights would still shine nicely and be in focus with a high enough aperature

4 - either increase your shutter to freeze the motion or decrease it to show it better. Right now it look like it is not focused well and not motion blur

the last 2 - I really can not comment on them. I think the first one should be at a faster shutter and I dont really like the last one