allow to ip only and deny from everyone else

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RubiconSahara, Dec 30, 2006.

1. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

What is the best way to restrict a webadmin interface such as https://www.domain.com/admin/ to a specific IP only and deny from everyone else? I've had some brute force attacks on a box lately (none successfull) and want to restrict the admin console to accept from a specific static IP only.

Same goes with ssh access. How do I limit it to only accept from 2 specific IP's?

I have a sshblacklist script running that watches the messages log for login attempts and after x amount of failed logins it adds a rule to iptables, but each attack I see is from a proxy and they just change proxies and goes at it again. I have been seeing 3-4 brute force attacks daily for the last few weeks. At the moment I shut off ssh all together, but this is a pain to deal with when I want to connect.

Thanks

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

For the web interface, I believe you can set it up through your .htaccess file.

For SSH, I think you can do it through /etc/ssh/sshd_config (although I can't figure out how from the man page, so maybe it's not possible). You can definitely do it with iptables.

Edit: iptables if you're running Linux. That would be pf (I believe?) on OpenBSD, and other things on other Unices.