MMA Allistair Overeem: Ligitimate heavy weight contender?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Jeebus, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Your thoughts? :dunno:

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

his grappling skills are amazing, I can definitely see him being a contender. Well... after a rematch with shogun that is.

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

too soon to tell. sergei's injury obviously was somewhat a freak accident and didn't showcase overeem's skill accordingly. he did fight smarter on the ground though instead of working immediately on the mount and gassing. speaking of which, his conditioning will be a factor too i suppose

4. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I dont think he could hang with a good grappler or a good striker guys like fedor and mark hunt will pound him and nog would out grapple him easily all of which are well and truely tough enough to take whatever he has to dish out.

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

oh i misread, i thought you said light heavy/middleweight. I think for heavy he doesn't have enough power for his strikes. His grappling is his strongest asset, and at 205 lbs he can definitely do well.

6. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

No. Hes just not powerful enough. The big guys would hurt him.

7. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

to soon to tell...well see how he performs in a fight going the distance when he packs on more weight...i can't really judge anything from sergei fight except he got awesome takedown

8. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

I think Overeem is going to do just fine at heavyweight. Will he be a championship contender? Probably not, but I think he is going to beat a lot of the top heavyweights. His muay thai is what made him a great fighter and he has done an awesome job catching up on his ground skills. I doubt he will put on much more weight, he will probably be like 230 at the most. If he gets much bigger than that I'm afraid he will lose a lot of his speed. I think he is going to do great in the GP this year. I guess the Shogun rematch is out of the question for a long time though.