Allergies Affecting Recovery Crew

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SugarCoatedSour, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

How bad is it for you guys and what do you do to deal with them?

I've had typical environmental allergies all my life (dust/pollen/mold/pet dander/etc.), but they've never been serious up until about late '07, where my nasal passages basically close up shut completely at night, making sleep the worst fucking experience ever. I'd have to say I've only had a good night's rest about 5-6 times in the past 3 years.

Been on Zyrtec D for a little bit, but it was getting pricey since it's over the counter now and my insurance won't cover it. Been on Allegra D for about a year and it worked for like the first month for a bit and back to fucked up nasal congestion every night.

Also been on immunotherapy shots since last May, but it doesn't feel like I'll be seeing relief in a while. Doc says it takes a while for some, but it's driving me insane now and I've got dark circles developing and I get sleepy at work.

Also have dust mite covers on my pillow cases and over my mattress, but I'm still fucked. Also doing the neti pot thing, but by the time I get to bed, the congestion comes back. :mad: Shitty genes ftl

Needless to say, my workouts aren't totally fucked, but my energy levels coming in are weaker than they used to be, which makes me reliant on pre-workout stims :sad2:

2. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I feel you man. I also live in IL and have been having horrid allergies.

I've had environmental allergies all my life though. I can't start immunotherapy shots because my insurance doesn't cover much of it and it will be quite expensive.

Mine started getting really bad (nasal and upper-respiratory) about 2 years ago (similar to you).
    I've had sinusitis consistently for nearly 2 years now. I forgot what it was like to breath normally, lol.

A few things that have helped subside the problems:

- Use a netti pot daily. It's a tea pot type thing that irrigates your nasal passages with saline solution. Takes some getting used to, but it helps in the long-run. I noticed a difference after about a month of consistent use. You can get one at Walgreens for like $20.

- Singulair. It's a prescription that treats allergy influenced asthma symptoms. It has not done too much to help my asthma, but it has helped a lot with my allergies. I don't really don't even need an antihistimine anymore.

- Using a humidifyer during the dry winter months.

- If you're too stuffed up/inflamed the sleep try the breath-rite strips. The hold your nasal passages open. They helped me TREMENDOUSLY when I have a cold or get inflamed from allergies during the night.

3. SugarCoatedSour

So consistent use of the neti pot makes a pretty significant difference? I was originally only using it for a few times a week when I first tried it, and now I'm trying to use it every day (when I'm able to get the water to flow out the other nostril)

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I wouldn't say it makes a "significant" difference, but it definitely helps.

One of the ways you can tell it's working is how the flow gets a lot better. When I first started using it I couldn't even get the water to flow out the other nostril. It would take like 20sec before it would start to barely drip out and run down the side of my face.

After a few weeks of daily and consistent use it started coming out of the nostril in full streams like the package shows it SHOULD :rofl:

You should use it everyday. If you have bad allergies (as I do) you can use it twice a day. I use mine after waking up when I brush my teeth because you breath in a lot of dust/mold and household allergens at night. And then I use mine at night before bed to flush out all the pollen, ragweed, and stuff you breath in throughout the day.

Some nasal sprays work too, but my nostrils are always so inflamed it never stays back there. It either drips back out the front, or I have to sniff so hard to get it in the back of my nose that I end up swallowing it.

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I think a lot has to do with the area. Chicago is a pretty horrible place to live for people with allergies.

Every time I travel to places like Vegas, Cali, Florida, where the air is warmer and more moist my allergies mostly go away.

Allergy shots will help you A LOT! It just takes like 3 years to work. I really wish I would have started those at a younger age. My mom always told me to get them done, but I put it off. Now I'm 24 and insurance barely covers it. If I had them when I was young I am certain my allergies and asthma would be a lot easier to deal with now.

6. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i'm sure your already well aware of these two things but just in case..

1.) have you tried benedryl to sleep? not only does it make you drowsy but it also is an antihistamine so it should help dry you up overnight.

2.) what time of day do you typically take your allergy medicine?

7. SugarCoatedSour

Haven't tried benadryl to sleep yet, but I'll try tonight

Allegra D is 1 tablet two times daily, so I take one first thing in the morning and one about an hour or two before bed (12-hour capsules)

8. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

Go see an ENT doctor. Changed my life.

9. deznutz

deznutz New Member

I have done shots, nasal sprays, and pills.
    Shots didn't do anything and they were a pain to go to.
    Nasal sprays gave me bloody noses.
    Most pills didn't work and one of them I found out I was allergic too.

The only pill that has worked and still works is Claratin D 24 hr. You have to get it behind the pharmacy counter. What may worked for me, may not work for you.

10. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

Allergy/Sinusitis crew signing in.

Like DTX said, the netty pot is gold. I've been using Flucosone (Flonase) for a while, but have stopped in the winter since it dries me out too much.

keeping you immune system in good condition seems to reduce alergy symptoms too. Vitamin C, Oil of Oregano and lots of sleep.

11. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

benadryl is an antihistamine, like allegra, claritin, zyrtec, etc. (although in a different class) so it should help dry you up overnight.

one of the reasons you are having so much trouble sleeping is because you are taking allegra-D before bed. any drug with a -D decongestant component is going to have pseudoephedrine (sudafed) in it, which is a stimulant and will definitely make you have restless nights. you might want to speak to your doctor about switching over to regular allegra (fexofenadine) and then buy generic sudafed (the -D component) seperately to take during the day.

12. Sixers

Sixers OT Supporter

Word, I use Allavert D which is the generic version of the Claratin. It has to be the D for me or it doesnt work. I've been an allergy sufferer for the majority of my life. This kinda gets expensive and even though they are 24hr some days when my allergies are bad I will take 2 or even 3. its like 14 bucks or like 12 pills but I know when my allergies are unbearable i dont care about price anymore i just want relief!

13. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

it sucks that antihistamines are bad for body composition :hs:

14. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

why?

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

16. SugarCoatedSour

The that sucks the most is that I need the -D decongestant, since the severe nasal congestion during bedtime is the only part of my allergies that's bothering me.

Even without the meds, I breathe fine during the day, but whether with or without the meds, my nose closes shut at night. The meds just make the nasal congestion slightly less severe, for the most part. :sad2:

Pretty much on the nights when I magically don't have a congested nose, I sleep like a baby. I don't know what factors contribute to making those nights come more frequently, though.

17. SugarCoatedSour

Details on what it did for you? I'll definitely see one if there may be another thing that I may be overlooking.

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Try the breathe-rite strips. It'll get expensive if you use them every night, but on nights that are especially bad throw one on. They really do help.

Also, the reason you're always so tired is likely from taking allergy meds in the morning. When I was taking zyrtec D or allegra D in the mornings I was dragging ass all day long.

19. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

What I thought were just bad sinuses and allergies turned out to be a deviated septum and a polyp accounting for 75% airflow blockage.

I found out about it through family and told my doctor the constant antibiotics he was giving me wasn't working because I was getting sinus infections once a month after he told me it was normal during the winter months.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.