All you with fucked up knees and lower back check in

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thisgsx, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Which exerccises do you guys do with the least amount of stress on your knees and lower back?

I can't do squats, leg press's, but I can do deads, leg curls, leg extensions, lunges. I feel like Im not doing enough to make my legs grow. Help?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Why do you have fucked up knees and lower back? Does your mobility just suck? Do you have sandyvaginitis? Or have you had multiple surgeries and shit.

3. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

My left knee just started hurting last week after my leg day. Everytime I bend down to grab something off the floor with knees bent, my left knee just hurst. And my lower back has always been a problem for me. I've had it for years, it comes and goes.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

So you just need to start taking better care of yourself. Invest in a foam roller and use it frequently. Roll the shit out of your IT band, hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings.

Start doing mobility work. Lower back problems + knee pain are all signs that you have muscular problems.

Start taking lots of fish oil and invest in some neoprene knee sleeves. You'll be squatting again in no time.

5. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Where can I purchase a foam roller? IT band?

6. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

7. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

thanks maine!

8. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

One caveat - if it's not muscular, it might be structural (bone spurs, chips, cartilage, meniscus). How old are you? Sometimes your connective tissues can get worn down over time. I take a joint supplement (chondroitin and glucosamine) and it's great. Kept me from having surgery for like a year.

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

<---fucked up left knee and janky lower back from years and years of bball, too much impact from jumping and landing at all sorts of fucked up angles.

Rest up, take it easy on legs/deads until you are feeling better; then leave your ego at the door and squat woman weight. I've been working out with 4x8 @ 135 pain free. Moved up to 4x8 @ 155 pain free in the lower back. Not real impressive, but keep repping go low and slow and you'll get a good workout.

Looking to move up to 175 soon, but i'm gonna hit 155 for a few more weeks just to be safe. In the end, if you can't do an exercise b/c it hurts your lower back, just don't do the exercise.

10. kelali

kelali OT Supporter

Thanks Maine, I'll be ordering Rehband sleeves and a roller after seeing your recent posts. My right knee gets owned on squats.

11. Lilkhmerkid4u

Lilkhmerkid4u OT Supporter

i just have sandyvagina

12. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

you should hit your core and your glutes. working your core will help wtih the lower back and hitting the glutes will help both the knees and back.

as for the knees, focus on working the muscles which support the knee. work on your calves, quads, and hams. avoid actions that aggravate your knees. as you build strength, slowly start to fold squats and leg presses back in to your routine.

13. Daria

Daria New Member

As a person with knee issues, I have found that squatting with an exercise ball has helped really target my quads and I have absolutey no pain in my knees, but my form has to be perfect. Having the ball at my back helps me keep my back in place (I haver weak core muscles) so that I don't forget about the form for my back. This is the form I use: http://www.fitnessvancouver.ca/anatomyassets/exercise ball squats.htm

Also, a benefit to using the ball is that I can go as low as the woman in the picture and not lose my balance.

I don't use weights for my squats yet, but I'm guessing that you could easily use a kettlebell for these or even hold dumbbells at your sides.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I have had two back surgeries and two near misses on extra surgeries and I do core work like my life depends on it so that I can deadlift.

Feels good man

15. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

get that core up to par and you'll be golden. you have to right idea to use KB's or DBs. There is a woman at my gym who has stuck to it for a long time. She would do BW squats the slowly moved to DBs. At the 50lb mark she moved to using the bar. Now I think she is squatting 95lbs which is right under bodyweight for her. She has great form too. I've talked with her a few times and she's been at it for about 6 months. She's done a ton of core work, yoga, and mobility.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  16. HalfPastGone

HalfPastGone OT Supporter

i've had a stress fracture on my L5 for about 8 years now. it's aches daily, but doesn't keep me from lifting. dead lifts used to be unbearable but i can do them now will only minor soreness :wiggle:

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Age. Along with sandyvaginits needless to say. :o

18. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

full range of motion squats helped my knees (i'm 34 btw)

do them with no weight and have something to grab onto in front of you at first if necessary

my knees will ache if i don't squat for a few weeks then it goes away after i squat a couple of times

the fact is if you can't even do one proper unweighted full-rom squat when warmed up you have issues you need to work on (i was there in the past)

its scary how many americans can't bust out an unweighted proper form squat

19. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I bought a foam roller at walmart. Gold's gym brand. It's hard as fuck though. I need to get a softer one or drill a hole in it or something.

20. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

hmm.. that might just work for my lower back/hip area

ill give it a shot and see how i do

21. pollux

pollux OT Supporter

this thread is great

i have the exact same problem (left knee, lower back) pain. i use a foam roller on my lower back but not on my IT band and hip flexors yet.

additionally, look up sciatica stretches on youtube and go check in with a doctor if you haven't already just do make sure you don't have any spinal disc problems. then you can squat with more confidence

i started doing front squats recently because it's easier on my low back

22. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

Low back and right knee is FUBAR. Left pec and right elbow are kind of messed right now too. :wtc:

23. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

search t-nation for caveman no more or whatever it was. There's like 5 parts on fixing your back and shit.

24. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

neanderthal no more. Good suggestion.

Both my knees are fucked, did physical therapy all summer and got nothing out of it :sad2:

25. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

dont stretch or roll the lower back; you don't want to promote flexibility there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.