All you experienced programmers, I want to start a project and need some advice.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdub12, Feb 16, 2004.

1. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

Need some advice on how you would tackle a programming idea. First off, I want to make a program to track a patient base and track patient history, pictures, etc. I kind of have an idea of what I want it to do, but im not sure how Im going to store all these customers and their information.

My first idea would be to use a MS Access database and have the program (vbnet or C#) open a connection to it.

My second idea would be to use XML and track all this customer information.

Other than that, what else would I be able to use? How do programs like quicken and what not track all their information? I suppose a database, but its not like SQL or Access is it?

Anyways, if you have any suggestions and are familiar with VBNet or C#, please speak your mind. Thanks.

2. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

personally, I would stick with VBNet and Access. But then again that's the only method I was taught in school and I haven't gotten around to learning any others yet. I would say that this will probably be one of the easiest methods, especially with the help of the built in guides that come with VS.Net

In the end, I'm sure there are better ways (there always are) but Vb and Access have always suited me just fine.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Ok, so you're talking patient records. Is this a program you're building for fun or for profit? If its for profit you have BOAT LOAD of security issues to look at (before even STARTING I'd recommend hitting up some of the more recent gov't regulations passed on storage and access to patient records). You may have to look into things like IPSEC and/or SSL or something completely different.

The database can be determined on how your application is going to be used. If its for fun, then Access will be fine. If its for profit, I'm pretty sure Access won't cut it unless your possitive you'll only have 8 or less users hitting it at the same time (and you'd be working with rather small data sets). Otherwise you'll need something more industrial strength like MS SQL server.

Some programs will create their own database structure and engine. Since its built for their needs, it can be optimized the way they need it to be and therefore runs very nicely.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

echo what Astro said, but would avoid using MS Access at all costs. Look up information on MSDE, it is a watered down SQL Server engine that is free to use, develop with, and distribute. MS Access has many problems with handling just even moderate amounts of data. With MSDE, you could actually store the image binary data in the database itself. C# would be a good language to develop it is.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

why not run with mysql as a database and implement it into your program? i havent worked much with C# and databases, but i know in C++, JAVA and Pascal (Delphi IDE) all work well with it (some more then others).

if this program is for profit there is a marginal cost for mysql compared to ms sql server.

just my 2cents

6. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

I can always use SQL, or MySQL. I've used Access a lot and SQL a little but they are more or less the same thing. I know about Access' limitations and it will suffice for the environment it will be used in. I havent given MySQL a try, but now that you mention it I guess it would work too. I just wasnt sure if it would work with the C# or VBNet language.

Anyways, this is just a program for my father doctors office that I know he could use to make himself more productive. He has a laser clinic in which he takes pictures of patients and record some history, etc. Well he has to store his pictures on CD's which is a pain so I thought maybe a server which hosts the files and then I could make a program on workstations to make it all nice and neat and incorporate some critical information about each customer too. Nothing commercial right now. Thanks anyways thogh guys, your all very helpful. Ill check out MySQL right now. Is it pretty much the same?

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm not sure I'd go with MySQL in this case. Maybe Postgres if you couldn't afford to play with the big guys like MS SQL.

Dude, if you do not think about securing your app and data, prepared to be ass raped by the government if the smallest mix up happens (hacker gets in, data gets lost, data made available to the wrong person, etc). The beauty about the CDs is they can be locked up and made unavailable. Store patient data on a network and you have to secure it (encyption). Again, read the rules and even think about getting a lawyer. Patient data is uber-sensitive.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: Definetely look into what the requirements are for patient data security, and make sure that you exceed them. If it were me designing the program, I would aim to have everything encrypted on the server, as well as encrypted communications between the server and workstations. It's a good idea, just needs to be carefully implemented to avoid big problems.

9. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

I know that ill need to take precautions on securing the data on the computer. So besides password protecting the database files and also enrcypting the server files which can be done in several ways....how else would you tackle this?

Im sorry if I mislead you all on the whole patient data thing. My father and partner have a computer system for tracking all patient history, medical information, as well as file cases for patient folders. However this program will be designed for something else. Mainly to just give organization to all the damn before and after pictures of patients with their laser treatments. Its not going to be a replacement for their current medical history programs. That shit I know is government regulated and is not something I wish to delve into. I just want to give my father the opportunity to put all the files into a central server and have the client database front end on workstations so it can draw up patients pics, and any notes that are included. Right now, it will probably be basic, but will increase productivity alone 9 fold.

Like I said before, how would you guys go about securing the database besides a password and encryption? Ohh BTW, the computers that will have this front end client and the server will not be directly connected to the internet. There are other computers for that. This is just an internal intranet thing for now, but who knows if it will remain that way so like you all said I guess security will have to be looked at too. Thanks again. Let me know what your advice would be on that.