SRS All these conspiracies are fucking me up

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Aug 21, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was younger. What happened was I started hearing about how the government is corrupt and manipulating. I heard that people in the military are "just tools for the government". Who wants that? So I decided not to join after high school and have pissed away an entire year doing absolutely nothing. I kinda want to do it again now, since I don't give a fuck because I'm a tool without the government, but I just imagine myself enlisting and then all of a sudden losing motivation to be a pilot and I will end up peeling potatoes or some stupid shit job for 9 years (it's a 9 year commitment for the air force).

Drugs, family, and hearsay from high school fags all got in my way of my dream. Now I have nothing, feel like shit, and can't see myself anywhere in 5 years. I had a dream of just becoming a regular pilot, but that seems very mediocre now. Since my dream was smashed, it's hard to get that passion back. If I do get it back, it's very short lived.

Does the military add structure to your life? For those of you who are aware of my shitty condition, do you think I have anything to lose by joining up?

2. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

I will say that I'm pretty sure a pilot, esp a fighter pilot, is a very elite field and they only take the highest out of any class. You don't really pick your own field in the air force either, they tend to assign you if you're enlisted.

But I don't think it could hurt you to join the military. You will get out of it what you put into it though - it is not always a fix, but you can certainly use it as one for yourself.

Don't believe what everyone tells you in terms of conspiracies. And don't expect/idealize a career field...

3. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

Don't do something because you want to add structure to your life, do it because you really want to do it. Doing it for structure is like a husband and wife who fight and abuse each other having a kid together because they think it will save their marriage.

4. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

Actually, a pilot slot is a 16 year commitment in the AF.

Unfortunately, you won't know if you're offered a pilot slot until well after you've joined. And you can't become a fighter pilot without being an officer.

Which means one of two things: Either go through school and direct commission, or you go through the enlisted ranks and work your way up. And THEN you go for pilot training.

And then, if you're lucky enough to get into flight school, you have to have top grades to make it to fighter pilot. I'd be satisfied flying cargo, personally. I think a C5 would make a much easier transition to the civilian world when it's all said and done.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but thinking that you're going to join up and fly is an unrealistic expectation unless you're willing to put the work and dedication into making it happen.

The military adds a shitpile of structure to your life. It forces you to grow up, to mature, to adhere to regiment, and to be part of a collective team.

Military members are tools of the government, that's the nature of the beast. But so what? It's also a very proud, honorable, and respected lifestyle.

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I don't think the military is for you. :dunno: from what I know of you from your posts here but I'm just one person on the internet, you should do what you feel is best for you.