All rotaries created equal?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jsilas, Jun 23, 2009.

1. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

I am in the market for a rotary polisher. I've been using a random orbital from Griot's Garage for a few years now, and I'm just not able to get the correction that I want out of it.

My question is two-fold:

First, are these rotary polishers largely created equal? I know there are a few brands out there, and I want to get something good and reliable without breaking the bank. This will be for my personal use, not professional.

Second, where should I purchase? I know there are literally dozens of recommended online supply retailers, and there's tons of local places too. Where should I purchase?

Thanks in advance all...

:wavey:

2. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Dewalt vs Makita are essentially the same in quality. Some people purchase based on design, a few by brand loyalty and others by the difference in weight. I've had both, both wear out with professional use, both can sustain being dropped/kicked, both can produce the same results.

If you aren't using it every day I don't think the lb or so extra will affect you. My advice would be to get both in your hands and see which you prefer according to comfort, or just decide between teal or yellow.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

A Dewalt is probably the most heavy duty rotary on the market but some people like the lighter weight of the Makita, Flex and Metabo.

4. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm not familiar with Flex or Metabo - I'll do some reading. Super-heavy-duty isn't that important as I'm just using the unit for my car, my wife's car, and the occasional neighbor, friend, or family member.

Any thoughts on my second question about where to purchase?

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Personally I try to support local business as often as I can; but if that's not an option I think theres an otter that runs a detail supply business, then the other bigger online retailers.

Autogeek has the Flex rotary on sale this week, that's another option.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

The DeWalt is pretty much the standard. You go to most shops and you'll see at least one yellow beast laying around there. Body Shops especially. I don't have any issue with the weight of a DeWalt, I can work one fine.

7. Scottwax

Same here, plus I love the quality feel mine has.

8. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

I have a practically brand new makita 9227c for sale if you were interested in one

9. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

How much are you looking to get for it?

Detail crew, is this a good unit to consider?

10. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

just realized how far away you were. I have it locally for $100, but I'm assuming shipping would be pricey

it's considered one of the better ones out there, especially in this price range

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you have one? i was thinking you had a makita or pc.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

He's had all kinds of crazy polishers from a PC to a Cyclo... though I think he's using a DW843 and a G110 at this point.

Personally I prefer the Makita simply because of the bale handle, but I'm becoming tempted to look at the lightweight Flex rotary considering how infrequently I use a rotary (90% of what I do is with a Flex DA) and how much of a boat anchor the Makita is to carry around.

Any of the Makita, DeWalt, Flex, Metabo, and Hitachi rotaries should be more than heavy duty enough for most people who aren't in high volume shops, and deliver plenty of power to tackle whatever is thrown at it.

13. Scottwax

Had it about a year now, also have a PC 7428 that is currently fubared. Got a G110 for one polishing step basic details and a PC 7424 that is dead. There is a local guy who fixes Porter Cable/Black & Decker tools so I'm going to drop both Porter Cables off to have them fixed.

FWIW, I use my Dewalt without the handle. Much easier to control with my hand over the head of the rotary.

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, this i knew

hmm, never thought of that, i always liked the handle so I could "feather" the pad (i use synt wool) around mirrors and other tight areas

15. Scottwax

I hate the handle, too much tendency to tilt the rotary.

16. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Interesting, Scottwax.... that does make sense though. The Flex (both their lightweight rotary and DA) is configured for use in this manner, as is the Metabo rotary.

I never thought about trying that kind of configuration with one of the heavier rotary tools, but I suppose it should work about the same (assuming the tools are balanced properly for this).