SRS All of my friends drink...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Steve French, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Steve French

Steve French New Member

What do you do when all of your friends drink (pretty much all the time), and you want to quit drinking? :dunno:

2. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

Is this temporary or permanent? Anything temporary should be relatively easy, however if it is permanent you will be forever tempted. Most people will tell you to get new friends, but if you feel they are good friends and dont want to lose them then really the only way is massive amounts of willpower. Hanging out with your friends while they are drinking can place immense pressure on your shoulders, but remember that only you can physically move a drink from your hand to your mouth. Ultimately, wether or not you keep your friends depends entirely on you and your goal. If you find that you can't not drink around your friends, and not drinking is more important to you than your friends, then you will need to act accordingly.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So are you saying your friends don't want you around if you don't drink?? Will your friends not support your choice and respect that you are trying to do something to better yourself??

IF the answers are yes, then you might want to find different friends....friends that will accept you for who and what you are, regardless of whether or not you drink. Friends that will support you in your journey in life instead of trying to drag you down.

Ever hear the saying: "With friends like these, who needs enemies?" Perhaps that applies to them??

4. okietiger

okietiger New Member

You will find out who your true friends are. If they were your true friends then it shouldnt be a problem with them with your decision to not drink.

5. Steve French

Steve French New Member

I hear what you are saying. It's definitely a willpower thing for me. I'll go a couple of days without drinking, then, despite my best efforts to abstain, I'll end up heading out for some beers. I think some of them are good friends, even without drinking, but who knows?

I think if they knew I was serious, they would support it, but with lots of joking around and ribbing about it. "Come on, man, no one likes a quitter!"...stuff like that. And honestly, I have a hard time hanging out with a few of these people when they are drinking and I am not.

6. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

you change people, places and things.

if you were going to quit driving a car for example, how would you do it.

7. Steve French

Steve French New Member

I'm really thinking that I need to move along and make new friends, but man, I just don't know how to go about doing so. Any suggestions?

8. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

First of all, you need to ditch your av. :mamoru:

9. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

this is largely what 12 step fellowships are for

10. Steve French

Steve French New Member

LOL...yeah, I know. I don't even drink those anymore, but for a long time, that's what I was known for...my love for the Old E.

11. okietiger

okietiger New Member

I would suggest to find a AA meeting near you, there are some awesome people there.

12. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

Do you ever do things with your friends that doesnt include drinking? Friendships built around a substance are probably lacking in substance (pun fully intended)

13. Steve French

Steve French New Member

Very rarely...

14. Defiler

Defiler New Member

Distance yourself from those people.