All inclusive Chicken cooking strategies, recipes and whatnot

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Scold, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

All inclusive Chicken cooking strategies, recipes and whatnot **UPDATED**

Ok, I'm going to get somethings out of the way right off of the bat. Whenever I mention cooking with oil, I'm always referring to peanut oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil. You can use any one of those with no problems when cooking near high heat. Many people can get away with olive oil, but I don't like to cook with it as I have seen it burn too easily.

Important concepts to understand when cooking

When deciding to cook something, no matter what it is, during every step of the procedure think about what you can do to get more flavor out of the ingredients. Using the left over chicken juices to cook your vegetables in. When, where, and how much to season something, hell, even the direction you cut the meat can impact how enjoyable the meal is. The difference between a cook and a chef is the minor details. I cannot make you a chef by having you read this article, but I can hopefully make you think about new flavors and techniques while you are in the kitchen.

Food Safety
    As gay as this sounds, the "Danger Zone" for food is temperatures between 40 - 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Above 140 and below 40 degrees bacteria does not grow and for the most part is killed/put dormant. Nothing that can spoil should be stored in the Danger Zone for more than 4 hours. When you cook some meat and you have left overs, do not put them in a Tupperware bowl, cover them, and put them in the refrigerator while they are still hot. They will more than likely stay above 40 degrees for more than 4 hours and you have a chance at getting a food born illness.

Cooking Temperatures
    I'm going to cover a few different meats here because I know you guys eat other proteins besides chicken and I don't want to see any brolies getting sick.

Chicken/Turkey is the #2 thing that scares me when I cook (hamburg that I haven't ground being #1). The internal temperature of chicken needs to exceed 160 degrees to be sure that any possible viruses/bacteria are killed. Don't think it's important? Spend a week pissing out of your ass and puking and see what that does to your training. Making sure you don't get food poisoning is something that you have 99% control over and thus shouldn't be overlooked.

Ground Beef/Turkey - The same rule applies here as to chicken, 160 degrees. Alot of people may wonder why ground beef needs to be cooked to such a high temperature yet it is perfectly safe to eat carpaccio (basically a raw steak that has only been seared on the outside and then is sliced paper thin and served as an appetizer). The reason is, is that the only bacteria that is harmful exists on the outside of the beef and when you grind it up, the outside is now on the inside.

Pork - Pork has had a bad rap over the years as producing some pretty insane food born illnesses. A long time ago a porkchop was as deadly as falling off of a bridge if it was undercooked, but nowadays this isn't the case. What changed is the pig's diets. Hogs use to be fed "slop" and they ingested huge amounts of bacteria which in turn made their meat have a high amount of dangerous bacteria. If you buy from a reputable place, 140 degrees internal temp is more than adequate (not for sausages or any ground up pork, just solid cuts of meat)

BUY A MOTHERFUCKING MEAT THERMOMETER

I can tell roughly when meats are finished, but ideally you want to pull the meat off JUST as it goes over the temp mark you are shooting for. Anything more than that and you are just drying the meat out.

Cross Contamination
    I would be willing to bet hard earned money that the VAST majority of food born illnesses are caused by cross contamination. Some simple steps that you can follow to avoid cross contamination: Always... always...ALWAYS wash your hands after handling any meat. If you only have one cutting board, cut your vegetables first and put them aside, then cut your meat on it. Anything you use to handle meat put it aside to wash later and use something else to handle/transport your vegetables.

Here are some terms that you should understand

The Maillard Effect (pronounced "my-ard") - Everyone is familiar with this even if you don't know what this term means. This is the browning that occurs on any food product when you apply high heat to it. Effectively this is caramelization of the sugars and carbohydrates that are present in all foods. The Maillard Effect is the mother of all flavor, nothing so simply evokes more taste from meats than a proper sear. By the way, searing meats has NOTHING to do with "keeping the juices in", I'll explain this more later.

Seasoning - Whenever you hear "seasoning", 99% of the time it is just referring to salt and pepper. When I say it, that is what I mean as well.

Saute - Ahh... one of the most misunderstood concepts in cooking. Saute means "To Jump" in French. To saute properly, you have to have your pan and your fat at a high temperature. Ever notice how when you are sauteing some onions how unless the pan is very hot they just stick to the bottom? If you aren't sauteing properly you aren't getting the benefits of the Maillard Effect and you are just slowly cooking your meat which will end up flavorless (ok, not totally, but damn near).

Mise en Place (pronounced "meese-en-plahs") This translates into "Putting in Place". This is a concept that got ground into my head day after day when I attended culinary school. Before any food hits the heat, you should have all of your prep work done. All your food should be cut, the fat trimmed away, the proper amounts measured out, etc etc etc. Here is an example of a perfect way to mise en place
    [​IMG]

When you do this, you can focus on your cooking and it will help to greatly reduce the amount of fuckups that happen in the kitchen (boiling over, burning, forgetting to add an ingredient, etc etc).

Cooking zi Chick-on

Ok, this is why you clicked the thread. I am going to go over some very basic recipes with you that you can make at home and will not only be relatively healthy, but also delicious. Emphasis on the "relatively". Some of my dishes are super healthy, others you may need to have as a cheat meal or something to eat after a work out.

BBQ Chicken

Ingredients:
    Chicken Breasts, bone in (or any other cut you prefer)
    Salt and Pepper
    A functioning grill
    Soaked (for at least an hour in water) Wood Chips, I prefer Hickory
    Chimney briquette starter (this thing is a lifesaver)

Directions:
    You can cook chicken over direct heat in any fashion and get an ok tasting piece of meat. I choose to spend a little extra time so that my chicken comes out juicy, tender, and delicious (I like my chicken like I like my woman....wait what?).

Get your grill and set up your pyramid of briquettes (or use the chimney briquette starter). Use about 3/4 the amount of briquettes you would normally use, coat with lighter fluid and get those suckers going.

While the grill is getting warm, take your chicken breasts and remove the skin if yours came with it on. Season both sides of the breasts and stage them near the grill.

Once the briquettes have turned gray, stack them on one side of the grill. We are going to cook these breasts using indirect heat, this method will give you the tenderest chicken possible.

Sprinkles a couple handfuls of the soaked woodchips over the briquettes then place the chicken on the grill on the opposite side of your briquettes, then cover. Depending on your grill and the temp, these will take anywhere from an hour, to an hour 45 to cook.

Use your chimney starter to get some more briquettes going about half way through so you can add them as you need to. Also be sure to put wood chips on every 15 mins (if you like a smokey flavor) for the first hour, then you won't need to add any more.

Check the chicken's internal temp with a meat thermometer and once it has reached 160 degrees pull them off and put them on a tray to rest. Tent the meat with foil (that means to just lay some foil over the chicken and lightly tuck it in, not all the way) and let it rest for about 10-15mins before you dig in.

Oven Roasted Chicken Breasts
    This is very similar to the bbq method but it allows you to get a similar effect indoors and in less time.

Ingredients:
    Boneless Skinless chicken breasts
    Salt & Pepper
    Saute pan
    Oil
    Oven tray
    Oven

Turn on your stove and put about a half dollar sized puddle of oil in a saute pan. While this heats up, season your chicken on both sides. Also turn your oven onto 350 degrees.

Once the oil is just under the smoke point, that is the time you want add the chicken. Grab the chicken by one end and lay it into the oil, laying it down in the direction away from you. If you lay it down towards you, you can splash hot oil on your self and that is never fun.

Sear only one, at MOST two pieces of chicken at a time. If you add too many pieces of meat the pan will cool down and we will no longer be utilizing the Maillard Effect. When you lay the chicken down, leave it for a minute or two alone. Don't fuck with it, it will tell you when it's ready to be flipped. After a minute or two give it a poke and if it slides around freely, it is ready to be turned.

Once you have seared the outside of the chicken place them on a sheet pan (if you have a grate that fits over your sheet pans, even better) and then place them in the oven. People always ask me how long to cook chicken in the oven, the answer is always "until it's done". Every oven is different, every piece of chicken is different. Ballpark estimate is roughly 35mins. But it's times like this where your thermometer comes in handy. Once they reach 160 degrees internally, you are good to go.

By the way, the left over chicken bits and juices in the saute pan make for an EXCELLENT base to saute some veggies. Some mushrooms, garlic, greenbeans and squash is a good combo with chicken.

Tandoori Chicken
    There are 23304823904823 ways to cook tandoori chicken, this is one of my favorites but this recipe is just a foundation for this dish; feel free to add, remove or change this however you like depending on your taste.

Ingredients:
    4 Chicken Breasts, bone in or boneless, skinless
    1 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup Tandoori Paste (you can adjust this for your palate)
    [​IMG]
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    2tsp Lemon Juice (again, you can adjust this to your palate)
    Whatever amount of Cayenne pepper you like, more if you like spicy
    Salt and Pepper
    1tsp Grated ginger root

Take your chicken breasts and remove all of the fat. Then take a fork and poke some holes, then with a knife cut 3-4 slits across the chicken about 1/4" deep. These holes and slices will allow the marinade to get inside the chicken.

Mix all of the other ingredients and then place the chicken in the marinade. You will want this to marinate for at least 3 hours, preferably over night.

To cook this, you can either use your oven, or your grill. If you are going to use your grill you can cook these using direct heat, as the marinade will help to keep it juicy. If you are going to use the oven, cook them at 400 degrees for roughly a half hour (don't quote me, cook them until they are done). If you are cooking bone in pieces of chicken they will take longer so be prepared. This recipe is mad delicious so I highly recommend you give it a try.

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs

Marinade:
    1/2 c soy sauce
    1 c. pineapple juice
    1/4 c brown sugar
    1/8 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 tbsp lemon juice

Other Ingredients:

Chicken breasts cut into 4 strips (roughly) per breast
    Pearl Onions
    Green Bell Pepper cut into 1" squares
    Chunk Pineapple
    12 Cherry Tomatoes

Mix the marinade ingredients and place 1/4 of the mixture aside in another bowl to act as a basting medium. You do NOT want to baste the chicken with the marinade that the chicken was soaking in (remember, cross contamination).
    Take the remaining 3/4 marinade and place the chicken strips inside and let it soak for a few hours. This marinade can be left overnight but it is definitely not necessary.
    Get some skewers and soak them in water for at least an hour. This will prevent them from burning when you cook the kabobs.

Take the chicken pieces and skewer them so that you go through each piece of chicken twice (basically just fold it in half). Slide one piece of chicken on, then an onion, then a piece of bell pepper, then a piece of pineapple, and then a cherry tomato. Repeat this process until the kabob is full and all of your chicken is used up.

Get your grill going and place the kabobs on the grill and use the 1/4 marinade you set aside to baste every 5 minutes or so. These will take roughly 20 minutes to cook, but as I have stated before, cook them until they are done.

Recipe from Bacchus

Chicken Satay Skewers:

Marinade:
    -2tbsp PB
    -Juice from 2 limes
    -1 tbsp chilli
    -4tbsp soy

1.Mix ingredients together.
    2. cube chicken, and marinade for at least 30 minutes. Toss on skewers, and bbq.

Top with Fresh Cilantro.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

Pretty awesome bro.

3. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

good stuff.

4. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

even though i fucking hate chicken.

5. J

J Active Member

how can you hate chicken?

6. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

nice one

7. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

8. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

:bowdown: I want to milk you.

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I would cum so hard in your ass bro :bowdown:

10. Ish

Ish New Member

good contribution to the board

11. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

12. Adom

Adom OT Supporter

reading that an hour before lunch makes my stomach very angry.

i want to leave work NOW, and make that lol.

13. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

Only if you take me to Olive Garden beforehand

:naughty:

Thanks man, I have learned so much from you guys about getting in better shape, this is the least I can do. I am still out of shape but I'm working my ass off to get down to about 240. I started my trek at about 340 and am down to 295 at the moment (6'2"). I'm sure I will be calling on ya'lls expertise in the future :bigthumb:

14. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

Also, if you guys have any favorite chicken dishes, post them up and I can go through my recipe folders to find the best and easiest ways to prepare them!

15. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

i don't use a thermo, but i've worked in the kitchen for years and have it down pretty pat.

i've posted this in another thread...but here it is if we're gonna make a central location:

Chicken Satay Skewers:

Marinade:
    -2tbsp PB
    -Juice from 2 limes
    -1 tbsp chilli
    -4tbsp soy

1.Mix ingredients together.
    2. cube chicken, and marinade for at least 30 minutes. Toss on skewers, and bbq.

Top with Fresh Cilantro.

best ever...guaranteed

Mix together marinade ingredients in a container. marinate, and cue. Top with fresh cilantro

16. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

Excellent recipe, I will add it to the main post. And the reason I'm always saying use a thermo is because this post is geared towards the people who don't know shit about cooking yet still want to make good home cooked meals.

17. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

^ werd, figured as much.

considering how much the brolies here love PB, it's a good one - because it's really clean too. No refined sugars.

i've tossed a bit of curry powder or garam marsala in there too.

18. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

:bowdown:

Yeah, knowing how much these guys love peanuts I'll probably be adding some Thai dishes as well.

19. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

nice. thai is one of my favorite things to cook.

I've got a mortar & pestle at home, and live in a area that is very multicultural. So, i've got access to fresh ingredients and spices to make various curries any day of the week.

Green Curry Chicken w/ Eggplant and Basil = :eek4::eek4::eek4::eek4:

20. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

Eat it every day. I guess it's more accurate to say that I hate in comparison to other more flavorful kinds of meat.

21. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

that being said, here's my green curry recipe:

Sauce:
    -3 Green Chilis
    -1/4 Cup of Cillantro (chopped)
    -1/4 Cup of Green Onions (chopped)
    -1/4 Cup of Fresh Lemongrass (chopped)
    -2 TBSP of oil
    -2 TBSP of Water
    -1 Tsp of Tumeric
    -1 Tsp of Cumin

Crush ingredients with a mortar/pestle. if you dont have one, Put it in a blender until it's a pastey consistency.

Fresh Ingredients:
    -Basil
    -Green beans
    -3 Chinese Eggplants, sliced (you can salt them and let them sit between paper towels if you'd like it firmer. Italians like to do that, Chinese don't so much.)
    -1lb chicken, cubed

Cooking:

Step. 1 - Cook Chicken until no longer pink, then Add veggies (Fresh Green Beans, Eggplant). Once almost cooked, remove from heat.

Step 2 - Make a sauce with the past by taking A cup or so of Coconut Milk, toss the paste in and mix it together until well blended. Add 20 fresh Basil Leaves

Step 3 - Add Veggies/Protein to sauce and stir for 5 minutes.

22. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

What cooking method do you use, and what do you do with the tofu. I could figure it out but I want to know exactly how you do it.

23. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

By the way, does anyone have any interest in my Pulled Pork recipe? It is without a doubt the best thing I know how to cook. Granted pulled pork isn't the most healthy dish, but it freezes great and is good to have after a workout or as a cheat meal. Let me know :)

24. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

Sorry, should have said - this is all done in a Wok...so stir-fried. ( Not the most brolie friendly :\). BUt, for those that are worried, really - you can cook it anyway you want before tossing it in the sauce. Grill it, bake it...do whatever ya want. The chicken isn't marinated in the curry anyways, so it's not going to gain any more flavors

I find the easiest way to cook tofu is to cube firmed up tofu - and toss it in oil with a bit of garlic and chili powder. I'll toss it in the oven at 450 for about 20 minutes, flipping it halfway through. It gives you a crispyness around the outside without deep frying it.

that, or i'll even even buy pre-cooked tofu in packages in chinatown.

25. HopHead

HopHead OT Supporter

Here's another good Tandori Chicken recipe. I'm actually marinating it tonight and I'll cook it tommorrow:

T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon

Wash, dress and chop chicken into whatever sized pieces you like. Drain of water however you can (let sit in a colander for a while or pat dry).

Pour about 2T of fresh or bottled lime or lemon along with some salt (1/2 to 1t) and 1/2t chili powder. Mix it and put it on the chicken. Let it sit for about 30 minutes or longer. In the mean time, mix the marinade:
    1t minced ginger (fresh)
    1t minced garlic (fresh)
    2t chili powder
    3t cumin powder
    3T plain yogurt (I use nonfat)

After the chicken is done in the lime/chili/salt solution, lather the marinade all over it and let it sit for 4 hours. Overnight is even better. Also, cut slices into the chicken so the marinade soaks in. I use this base and then adjust additional spices to how I want it that day. Don't worry if it tastes spicier than you're used to, it loses a little heat while cooking as some of the marinade that drains away taking some spices away. Bake or broil (preferred) or grill (best) until done, turning it once halfway through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.