All in one phone/pda or separate phone & pda?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deeznutz206, May 1, 2005.

1. deeznutz206

deeznutz206 OT Supporter

I can't decide on which one to get. The phone/pda would be nice because it's only one unit, but it's bulky. On the other hand I can have a small phone but then have to carry a separate unit for the pda.

What other options should I consider to help me decide?

Here's the phone/pda I was looking at Siemens SX66:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unique slider design, QWERTY keyboard
    Connectivity: WiFi (802.11b), Bluetooth®, USB, and wireless data transfer via infrared interface (IrDA)
    Access to Internet, e-mail, and corporate Intranet*
    Audio: WAV/WMA/MP3 Stereo
    64k color touch screen display: 240 x 320 pixels
    Stylus pen in integrated stylus slot
    PC synchronization
    Cingular Xpress Mail Suite: Real-time access to your corporate and personal e-mail
    High performance 32-bit Intel PXA263 CPU, 400 MHz with up to 64 MB flash ROM, 128 MB RAM
    Quad-band world phone: Operates on 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/ GPRS networks

2. dhacmbs

dhacmbs OT Supporter

i would get seperate also how important is the pda do you need it mostly for work for yor own time.

3. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

depends on what you want ultimately, but id go for two seperate ones, id rather have to gizmos that are great/flawaless in their own seperate field, than one that is ok in both.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

another reason in support of this approach is that if an all-in-one unit gets lost, stolen, broken, etc., you have to replace a much more expensive unit. also, if you get pissed at your mobile provider and switch, you'd lose the phone functionality.

that being said, i'm stilll tempted by the treo 650, though the pocket pc phones are just to honking huge for my tastes. (i currently have a pocket pc and seperate phone).

5. Chalkitup

Chalkitup New Member

Get an imate Jam. I used to use a nokia 6230 and when I found the need for the pda I put it in the draw and bought the O2 Mini (australian moniker). So far I've found that its a reasonable compromise but you lose the one-hand functionality that you get with a phone. I also found that it can be unreliable at times so if having a phone at all times is critical then you may need to take that into consideration. Size is great since it's only about an inch wider than the nokia and same thickness/length. Battery life has been fine for me though if it does run out you lose your data. If wireless is essential you can get a wifi sd card for a pretty reasonable price but that will sit proud of the casing about 1/2".

Check it out, have a play

6. Smahatma

Smahatma Bitch-Kumar OT Supporter

7. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I'd say if you need a PDA on a daily basis, then go for it. I have a Treo 650 and an SMT 5600 (Windows Smartphone, no touchscreen) and both are great. If you are more "voice" centric, get a smartphone b/c its a great phone with good PDA functionality. If you're more "data" centric (text messaging, IM, email, web) and you keep a tight calendar with tasks etc., then go for a PDAPhone like the JAM or the Treo. I think the Jam is one of the best phones out there (Smahatma can vouch for this :run: ) but the lack of a keyboard/dial pad ruled it out for me b/c I text so much. Having an all in one is great, and although reliability isn't 100%, its on par with other phones that cram in a shitload of features.

8. maczter

9. Smahatma

10. Smahatma

it uses a server-side service -- you'll need a subscription [i.e. cant pirate it]

11. maczter

i disagree, but i used the shit out of it. so it saved me a lot of horizontal scrolling time and made the downloads faster by scaling the images down. the fonts are also nice plus.

right now i just use webviewer on my blackberry, but i used to use thunderhawk to watch my online trading account while i was at lunch, in traffic, etc. i'm not currently trading, so it's not a critical right now.

12. maczter

true story. their servers scale the images down before transferring them to your browser. this makes the images fit nicely in the window without having to scroll horizontally AND, as a by-product of scaling the images, the file sizes are reduced which makes them much quicker to transfer. :bigthumb:

13. maczter

link? all i'm finding is broken links and pron sites.

14. maczter

sounds interesting, but sounds like it has a ways to go and it doesn't sound like it does the intelligent page and image re-sizing like thunderhawk.