All-in-one office printer/fax/copy/etc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crotchfruit, May 28, 2004.

1. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

Hey guys, I'm in the market for an all-in-one office solution for printer/fax/scanner/copy/etc. This is one area of the computer world I really have no knowledge about. I checked out the selection of "laser" all-in-ones at costco, the link is here:

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=subcat.asp&catid=84&subid=2148&hierid=4738&log=&NavTop=

Basically I'm looking for an all-in-one with printer/copy/scanner/fax, that is the best performance for the dollar. i.e. I don't need a top-of-the-line for $600, nor do I want the $200 crapbox. The problem is that there are so many in between, and I don't know what specs to look for.

Assume that all specs are of medium importance (i.e. I don't need super print quality but I don't want crappy quality. I don't need super fast ppm, but I don't want to wait 1 minute per page. etc.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

god i hate those. i had an early officejet that did everything and was fairly well made. it worked until i destroyed it by spilling a drink on it :o

since then their production quality has sucked. we have ordered some just to have the users order separate fax machines and laser printers because the all-in-one sucked. i don't recommend them

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Don't buy an HP unless you enjoy having 6 items in your task list starting with "hp" running all the time. Goddamn resource hogs.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Brother has the MFC6800. Print, copy, fax, PC fax, and scan.
    Laser, flatbed and should be around $400 or so.

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you can buy the hardware, but never EVAR install the software - just use the microsoft driver if one is available or the add printer wizard and point it to the cd for the printer driver only. of course that would mean the other multi-functions would be useless ...

so basically just pass on hp multifunction devices

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

hehe yep. I don't know how HP can manage to make a decent machine but such AWFUL drivers. I've had their software crash and burn on Windows startup but if I msconfig'ed them out, the computer worked fine and so did the printer. WTF? What are they even starting 4 programs if they're not really needed? Grrr. (This was a printer, not a multifunction). And yeah the Microsoft driver is usually much more stable. Sad.

8. Stev

Stev Active Member

heard good things about lexmark's All In One's... but havent had experience with them.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've always heard that Lexmarks drink ink like nuts.