all computer internet/network/routing/firewall people help me please!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tommyortom, Nov 18, 2004.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

when i try to goto photoshopjunkie.com, using firefox 1.0, Windows 2000 that is all updated with the SP's, i get this every time:
    "

Net Reset Error

Offline Error
    The document contains no data.

The address (URL) is not a valid format and cannot be read. A typical address will start with "http://", followed by an address, (e.g. www.netscape.com), followed by a path to the content (or just "/"). A common cause for the problem is using backslashes(\) instead of forward slashes (/).

The file specified by the address (URL) cannot be found. Check that the file exists and that you have sufficient permissions to view it.

The address (URL) does not correspond to a known site and could not be loaded. This could be due to a misspelling in the address or because the site does not exist. If the address is known to be valid, or if the problem occurs for many sites, it may be an issue with your proxy service (if you use one) or the directory name service lookup. In such cases you should consult your system documentation, administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) as appropriate for further assistance.

The address (URL) starts with a protocol that is not recognized by the browser. A protocol is the part at the front of the address, such as http: or ftp: which tells the browser how to connect to the site. In this instance, the protocol is unknown so loading cannot continue. Check that the address is correct before retrying.

The browser was unable to connect to the specified site, even though it exists. This may be because the site does not accept connections from your computer, the service may be down, or the site does not support the service or port that you tried to connect to.

The browser timed out while trying to connect to the specified site. The site may be experiencing high loads that are slowing it down, or network problems are preventing data from being received from it in a timely manner. If the site is likely to be busy, consider waiting a few moments before retrying the request.

The browser has stopped a connection because the site is redirecting requests to itself in a manner which prevents it from ever completing.

The site responded to the network request in an unexpected manner. This may be due to address (URL) using the wrong protocol for the specified port, or a non-standard configuration on the site which is running different services than expected.

The link to the site was dropped unexpectedly while negotiating a connection or transferring data. This may be due to a network fault somewhere between the site and your computer. If the problem persists, consult your system documentation, administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) as appropriate for further assistance."

this happens on several sites that i try to goto...they wont load in IE either.

i am one of 3 computers off of a router. all the other computers goto the websites fine, all using IE or netscape. im trying to figure out why my computer wont load so many websites and some flash pages, and alot of Videos that i cant play off the internet, that are just streamed....so will anyone be albe to help out at all?

2. yogip

yogip Guest

sounds like a dns issue, are you running dhcp on all the computers?

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

virus scan and spyware scan, see what turns up.

4. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

what is dns and dhcp?

5. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

both are fine...i run a full norton scan usually twice a month, and adaware all the time...just ran both and everything seems A OK....im pretty good with keeping my computer inline and running good...i just can figure out why alot of sites wont load in firefox or IE.....

also, i have peer gaurdian and zone alarm installed and running at all times...will those make a difference?

6. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

arite..the sites liek dell.com and somethingcorporate.com load on the other computers in my house on the network...but not mine.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

format re-install... it's the easiest and only sure-fire way to fix it.

8. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

format my HD then reinstall win2k? ....what if i just reinstall win2k? what will that do....ill still have my old programs and everything? just stock windows settings?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

reinstalling just windows will leave you with a mess because many programs will be there, but will not work.

format and re-install is what i said... installing over-top-of will only introduce new problems.

10. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

damn..ill get around to it soon

11. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

problem fixed!!!!!!! my program i run...peer gaurdian was blocking those sites!!!!! i figured out from reading another thread where it someone said, damn, peer gaurdian is blocking these pics from showing...so i thought id exit out of peer gaurding and try to goto dell.com...and it worked!!!!

12. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

i uninstalled peergaurdian, and im now using pc cillin internet security suite

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes: that one is still junk.

14. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

what

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pccillin internet security is a crappy product. I would not use it. I recommend to my customers to not use it.

16. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

oh...in another thread i had some people saying it was pretty good...what would you recommend

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

AVG for anti-virus. Then a decent firewall is Kerio. All the other bundled junk is worthless... if anything, it only hurts you.