Alignment/Balancing at home

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Jan 31, 2006.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Anyone align and/or balance their tires at home? If so, do you think it could be done accurately for a first timer like me?

Balancing I probably can't do, requires too many tools i can't go out and buy.

Aligning however seems very possible with everyday household tools and stuf. Read a few guides, seems simple enough.

I'm just trying to save myself $60-100, and save my tires since they are wearing unevenly.

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

It's possible, sort of. You probably won't get very accurate results.

3. ecofire

ecofire Member

All you need to balance tires is a bubble balance. They do a pretty decent job.

4. N1XRR

N1XRR New Member

We've done the alignment on our race cars for years in our garage, but its not as simple as it seems.

First off, your floor needs to be level. Unless you had it leveled when it was under contruction its not level. You can combat this by using shims under each of the tires.

Next, you will need a camber/caster gauge, which are roughly $70+. Every setup is different, so you'll need to check that out yourself.

Toe is a completely different animal, we use jack stands at each corner with fishing string tied to each of them. Its a careful process of measuring which usually takes several hours...when you get good at it you can get it down to 1.5 hours or so...but nothing is precise, so align it and then test it at an autocross. Most cars can do toe just by adjusting the bolts on the steering rack.

Anyway, long story short, you can do it and its an excellent experience...but it is typically going to save you a lot more time by just taking it to a shop.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Hmm, well thanks for the necro :p

When I get new tires on my car I'll probly just pay them the $60 for align and balance. I don't have the tools or experience to do it myself, I'd definetly want help if I tried.