Alice In Wonderland

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by caribou, Mar 1, 2010.

1. caribou

caribou New Member

Anyone planning on seeing this next weekend when it opens? I think it looks really cool and love the cast. From the clips and trailers that I've seen Burton uses a lot of his creativity and color to bring this story to life.

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Personally, I think it looks retarded. The queen or whoever the woman is looks annoying, as does Johnny Depp's character.

3. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

will be there opening night/day

from what ive heard its as visually impressive as avatar.

however, im keeping my hopes in check and not expecting much...

4. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

i just finished watching a screening in 3D. My friend and I thought it was a good movie. I can only comment on the visuals in 3D, but they were very impressive. I really enjoyed the 3D experience with this movie just as much as I did with Avatar. The imagination and creativity shown throughout the movie really made the movie for me. I caught myself just smiling or laughing at some of the scenery or characters that popped up. Depp of course performed another good performance, although you can hardly tell it is him until he speaks. The actor interactions with the CGI characters are seamless and the movie as a whole is really well put together. My favorite characters were the cat and the caterpillar. The cat is really :bowdown: though, you will see when you watch the movie.

Also there are previews for Tron and Toy Story 3. Tron looked retarded until they got to the actual game scenes. When it got to that point it looked extremely bad ass, especially in 3D.

**kinda a spoiler about the credits
    Also when the movie is over, some of the credits are shown with this thorny looking 3D frame that has these luminescent mushrooms that slowly sprout out. There was nothing else other then this visual, but it was really cool. You'll see.

So in the end, cool movie with great characters. Watch it in 3D

5. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Thanks k1ko, I'm going to take the kids (and me of course) to see it, hopefully this weekend.
    That's the good thing about having kids, you can see these movies without being concerned if others are wondering why an adult is there. Although I suppose no one cares anyway.

I doubt it will be as good as Avatar, in its story and effects.
    But I must ask something before I go (if some kind member can help)
    When I saw Avatar 3D, I was about the 4th row (maybe 5th or 6th) from the front.

Where, in the cinema, is the best viewing for 3D ?

Because I think the front rows aren't them! We did see the "3D" at Avatar, but it wasn't as good as I've seen 3D movies before (ie Shrek 3D) And I can't remember where we sat, in the cinema, for that. I do realize that the cinema may be packed, so I'll get there early if needed(?)

6. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

i don't really have any desire to see it but i know i will at some point. i mostly just can't force myself to watch another ridiculously over-the-top Johnny Depp performance that reminds me too much of his Willy Wonka

7. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

i would say sit in the middle to towards the back of the theatre. Visually with the 3D, I was more impressed with Alice in Wonderland than Avatar and that is saying something considering I loved Avatar. You and your kids will enjoy it.

8. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Wow.
    ok That's good. Anyway that's good, and thanks for the info.
    I keep having these mental images of the madhatter's tea party. I haven't seen any previews of the new movie yet. But I hope that part is in it again. That was the best part :)

Oh, I did see a commercial on tv, with the Queen saying "Off with her head" It didn't sound as mean or crazy as the first movie did. The first one the lady shrieked it out, like she'd explode or something :big grin:

9. CrowCaw

CrowCaw New Member

I think I will definitely check it out.
    I was one of the few people to defend Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Burton's style seems to be right up my alley.

10. Sookie

Sookie New Member

I'm hoping I'll go see it this week, I really, really want to see it. However, with my luck I'm sure I won't get to see it.

11. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

it's alice in wonderland bro... not inglorious basterds

12. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

alice in wonderland seems a little childish :rofl:

13. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

i personally cant wait to see it. first i plan on seeing it hammered drunk and then sober

14. kimsland

kimsland New Member

lol :big grin: That's funny.
    But I did have this image of stoned people going Wow:eek3:
    So maybe not drunk. ie Watching falling down a rabbit hole might make you puke.

15. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

planning to see this in imax 3D :bowdown:

16. Boing

Boing OT Supporter

Watched it yesterday in 3D. I liked it. It wasn't super dark and freaky. If you plan on munching on some shrooms and watching the catepillar scenes you're probably better off with the cartoon version, though.

Visuals were pretty damn good, though.

17. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

the more previews i see of this the more i wish they would have just made a movie of the American McGee video game instead

18. caribou

caribou New Member

I saw it this weekend and was extremely impressed by the 3D visuals! That alone definitely held my attention through out the film. It was really just an added bonus on top of the visuals that Johnny Depp was in this film. He really commanded the screen and owned every scene that he was in!

19. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I just got back from the 2D version.

I don't wear glasses. When I saw Avatar in 3D about half way through the film I got to the point where I couldn't tear those damned things off my head soon enough.
    Also, I felt like I was restricted in how I looked at the screen. It was like I had to look straight ahead and only move my eyeballs.

The 3D of Avatar was impressive, but the joy of wearing those glasses for 2 hours was less so.

That was why I decided on 2D for Alice.

Now, let it be known I am a Tim Burton Sackrider.

This wasn't his best film to date. I have glanced at the stars of some reviews (but skipped the reviews themselves for fear of ruining a movie I wanted to see) and noticed that it was getting mid range sorta reviews. 2, 2 1/2 stars - that sort of thing.

I got to agree with that.

Some of the movie could have been better. I am looking at you Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Tim really dropped the ball on that one. Tim Burton normally excels at those sorts of characters, but for me the Tim Burton magic just wasn't there for them.

Then there were other moments where I was having a good time. I could sit down and listen to Mrs. Burton say 'Off with er head!' all damned day. In fact, every minute of screen time with the red queen was worth the price of admission.

The Tim Burtoness of the movie (by this I mean the art style that Tim has as his own)... I am not sure how to review that.
    I am a little nervous that Tim has drunk the punch. It is my belief that Digital effects are a tool. Like any tool they have there time and place and utilized along with all the other tricks in the bag you can have a spectactular looking film.
    Tim Burton has always excelled at that. He has always seemed to have a pretty good sense of when to use digital and when not to.

And this movie is completly blue screened, from opening credits to end. It is ALL digital.

Once again some of it was spectacular. The Mad Hatters eyes (Johny Depp) had been mad bigger by way of digital effect. And it worked. I found it looked natural and, well... not natural in the way that someone with large eyes would work.

Then there was Tweedle's One and Tweedle Two. They just didn't look right to me. They almost looked unfinished.

20. pnutbuda

pnutbuda New Member

I've never been a fan of Burton Movies. Bleh.

21. Boing

Boing OT Supporter

Three whole posts in three years and that's all you have to say?

22. caribou

caribou New Member

I loved the special effects that went in to this. I thought it made the whole experience more enjoyable and way more entertaining. I think my favorite character had to of been The Cheshire Cat. He was just really cool, the way he was able to show up where ever he wanted... and his voice was great for the character.

23. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

well if it works theres a beer fest that gets over right before it starts in the same plaza as the beer fest so it could be aweseom in 3d imax as long as no one pukes

24. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Well we (us family) watched the movie last week now, in 3D.
    To tell you the truth I wasn't overly, overly ecstatic with everything. Yes the effects were good (like the expected good) but not what I was hyped up to feel .

I will say that learning more about the Mad Hatter and getting into his craziness (of past misfortunes) etc, did work. He was brilliant all the way to the end, where he was concerned that he may not even exist anymore if Alice goes back home.

OK the digital effects were good, I'm sure the money was spent well. I suppose I feel that movies should have come much further now than even from Star Wars released in 1977. Yes its all digital now, but still I feel its lacking as an all time favorite like The Wizard of Oz 1939 or even Fantasia in 1940! This last film although just animated, also resembles some of the modern digitizing of characters, making them look not exactly real. I don't feel "digitizing" has got it right just yet.

Avatar on the other hand I liked more, not just because it had an excellent Matrix style concept. But also because it felt real. It made us feel that it is true (well at least me). Maybe it was just the story line not sure, but the effects in Avatar scenery (even in the clouds) and character contumes/makeup and facial expressions really hit it.

In contrary to this, I asked the kids which was better in their view: Avatar or Alice?
    They said Alice In Wonderland was much better! And Avatar was dumb.
    So it may be what you get out of it individually (obviously) So then no review should be taken to its exact level of good or bad.

I'd see Avatar again (one day). But once is enough for Alice In Wonderland, in my view ;)

25. garbagemanlb

garbagemanlb OT Supporter

What a stupid movie. Johnny Depp's fucking hip hop dance at the end summed up the movie pretty well.