MMA Aleksander's Ink: The secret story of Russian tattoos

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/features/viewarticle.php?id=907

Aleksander Emelianenko’s tattoos are a source of much controversy and rumour. Those that are not familiar with the various symbols that adorn his body may be forgiven for thinking that the man simply likes having tattoos done, particularly those with a grim or gothic slant.

In this article Viktor Smirnov, our correspondent in Kiev, explains that the images are actually taken from the highly complex symbolism used by criminals in the days of the Russian Empire and, later, the Soviet Union.

Aleks spent some time in prison as a juvenile and each tattoo on his body has a deeper meaning within the underworld. Observers in the West are generally not familiar with these meanings, which has led to much speculation and misinterpretation.

There are two main arguments that surround the meaning of Aleksander’s tattoos. One is that he is a member of the Russian mafia, the other that he is a neo-Nazi. But neither of these views is particularly accurate.

[​IMG]

As you can see, Aleks has many tattoos. Some of the more significant are as follows:

On the front of his shoulders and on his knees he has stars. These are the classic symbol of the Vor v Zakone (“Thieves in Law”), a Russian criminal fraternity with a strict code of ethics and behaviour.

The stars on the knees mean the wearer will never kneel to "musor" (“pigs”), or more precisely that the wearer will never under any circumstances cooperate with police or government officials.

On his right arm, he has a cathedral with five domes. Each dome symbolises one year of imprisonment.

On his right shoulder, he has a spider’s web. This particular tattoo can have several different meanings.

If there is a spider going up the web, it means you are a professional thief. If the spider is going down, the wearer is saying he is done with the criminal world. However, in some circumstances the spider’s web can also denote a drug addiction.

On his left arm, he has a tattoo that is half cat's head, half skull, with the legend "Homo homini lupus est."

This translates as “Man is a wolf to his fellow man” and is used to indicate a very vicious and dangerous prisoner.

On his back, he has a grim reaper holding a baby, underneath the German phrase "Gott Mit Uns", meaning "God is with us".

ibthehumungus&checkii :joshers:

2. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

cool

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

fabulous

4. Aleks is a bad dude.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

6. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

7. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

That's pretty damn cool.

8. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

pretty much a warning sign for others not to fuck with him in any capacity :o

9. roose

roose Guest

Somebody should get a tattoo of aleks cradling death in his arms.

10. roose

roose Guest

Josh Burkman's lower back tattoo means he's an equal opportunist.

11. ChampKind

ChampKind New Member

Dustin Hazeletts "awesome" leg tribal is Navajo for afraid of sunlight. Look it up

12. those meanings are pretty well established for Russian prison tattoos.

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

they have pretty established histories behind each one, so unless it's just pure coincidence or that he just got them because they were pretty, then i'd be inclined to say that they're legit :dunno:

granted, checkii did make a reasonable argument against it, but it's still too coincidental IMO

14. I think checkii's argument was just that they didn't necessarily mean he was in the russian mafia, so much as just being prison tattoos, which is totally believable.

15. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

ah, that's right

16. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

i imagine that the same sort of rules would apply to the stars (the only real mafia connection, the rest is just universal prison ink afaik) as would apply to an AB or la eme tattoo, if you get em and your not in, i wouldnt expect to be around much longer :dunno:

17. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Every stupid little tattoo has meaning. Even tribal. I hate when people put together lame ass stories as to why they chose a dumb tattoo.

18. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

I have no reasoning for my tats, i got them done because i wanted to. Never will i look back and regret them i wanted it at one time or another and ill live with it.

19. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

I have a douchebag tattoo that I regret. One of these fucking chinese/japanese whateverthefuckitis trendy faggot tattoos.. It's about 1" by 1"..

I'm seriously contemplating just having a black box drawn over it - which looks also like complete faggotry - but at least will remind myself not to be a fucking douche when getting tatttoos.

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

I have a tribal dragon on my arm :cjerk:

21. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

so does your tattoo translate to something like "strength", "honor", or something equally as faggy?

22. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

ib purity or chastity

23. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

tattoos scream to me that someone is trying too hard to stand out or be unique

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

maybe that's what drag on's tattoo translates to: unique

:eek3:

25. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Ya same with people with piercings or people who paint there cars different colors, fucking people trying to be all unique and shit :greddy: